Air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What causes the air filters to look like this is the airbox geometry and the way the airstream has a flow path through the panel style filter. The majority of the air flow occurs through the upper right hand side and hence the greater amount of particulate building in that area of the filter.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What causes the air filters to look like this is the airbox geometry and the way the airstream has a flow path through the panel style filter. The majority of the air flow occurs through the upper right hand side and hence the greater amount of particulate building in that area of the filter.
Yep, the path of least resistance. As I said, that filter is far from really dirty. As that spot cakes up, it will no longer be the path of least resistance and the air will find other spots to go through.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Mine was replaced around 15,000 miles with an aftermarket AFE dry air filter that is the same shape as the OEM.

No problems except it still looks new at 30,*** miles which I find a little odd. Engine runs strong and no idle issues, have double checked fitment and it appears good to me.

Just don’t understand why it looks so clean.

OP
OP
WhoShotJR

WhoShotJR

Reaction score
My Cummins filters used to look like this, spots in certain areas. I can understand that in a diesel application and airbox geometry makes sense here, albeit at the expense of confidence in a robust design. My other TT applications do not look this way and those have been run far longer than 15K (not to mention my NA V8s). If nothing else, this rewards my <15k mile change rule.
Thanks all for chiming in, I will keep an eye on it going forward.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks normal, it is common that as the air swirls inside the filter box the filter will accumulate sediment/dirt in the corner(s) where the airflow slows the most-think of it as the eddie current in a creek, it swirls the dust into the corner and that's where it gets stuck to the filter.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was replaced around 15,000 miles with an aftermarket AFE dry air filter that is the same shape as the OEM.

No problems except it still looks new at 30,*** miles which I find a little odd. Engine runs strong and no idle issues, have double checked fitment and it appears good to me.

Just don’t understand why it looks so clean.
To me it sounds like the dirt must be getting through some how.. maybe the micron levels are a bit bigger then the OEM filters..