Air Conditioning - not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2021 is going to the dealer on the 11th for the same issue. Randomly happens and fixes itself after shutting the truck off. Pretty annoying in TN when it’s 98 outside

OP
OP
J

JPeazy

Reaction score
Replied to a few people about this.
In Dallas, TX - was driving one day and A/C went out. Same symptoms - blower you can hear go up and down, but nothing out of the vents. Was about 100 in the cab.
Planet Ford Dallas diagnosed - hole in AC coil. Took 2-3 weeks to replace - part was B/O.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have my dealer check for that the next time I take it in!

Thamac15

Reaction score
Hit the air flow button, is anything highlighted? I’ve never had this happen while driving, only when starting it and hear the fan but nothing coming out the vents. Then I see no air flow setting is selected, once I select the middle one it comes on.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 is going to the dealer on the 11th for the same issue. Randomly happens and fixes itself after shutting the truck off. Pretty annoying in TN when it’s 98 outside
Please post what they found/did. I have mine scheduled for the end of August. BTW, 98 would have been nice compared to when mine went out. Also, it was in south Dallas, not exactly the part of town I wanted to park the truck for a few minutes waiting for it to correct itself. I wasn't carrying enough ammo to sit anywhere in that part of town.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please post what they found/did. I have mine scheduled for the end of August. BTW, 98 would have been nice compared to when mine went out. Also, it was in south Dallas, not exactly the part of town I wanted to park the truck for a few minutes waiting for it to correct itself. I wasn't carrying enough ammo to sit anywhere in that part of town.
I can imagine that for sure. I recently just started using the auto function instead of just the fan speed. I haven't had any issue for 5 days with the auto function. Not sure if its just a fluke or if I was too stupid to work the AC. I am still taking it to be checked and can let you know.

tdford6

Reaction score
This just happened to us on our '18 Expedition (44k mi) on a 6hr road trip. Never happened before. We have had the service valve replaced last year due to leak, but at that time we had NO ac.

Turn on car, AC runs cold, 30min later fan starts getting slower and slower, inside car gets warmer. Will continue to get worse and worse. What we did was turn AC off and run the fan on blast for about 5min. Hit the AC button and it would run fine again like before for another 30min or so. Rinse and Repeat. I tried numerous methods of trying to keep the AC fan running. But if I would continue to push it then I would eventually just hear the fan blowing but very little air coming out. Air was cold, but something was blocking it.

I'm going to go have it checked for levels. My first guess is low refrigerant.

Update on my Expy.... dealer found I was low on refrigerant. Pulled 7oz out of a 37oz system. Saw evidence of residue at the compressor blow off release....? said could be a dirty cab filter and being hot outside the compressor let some pressure off. Expy is holding a vacuum for 2 days so they say no leaks. Going to obviously replace the cabin filter (it did need changed although not horrible at 44k miles), and re-fill refrigerant. Guess we'll see what happens.

We run Auto 100% of the time.

What sensor tells the compressor to release pressure? A cabin filter the main culprit? Icing up that fast?

RaptorND

Reaction score
Happened to me last week. Turned off and on and didn’t work. Next day worked fine. Hasn’t happened since. Anyway, I’m going in for service anyway (exaust heat shield came off ) they are going to check it out

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened on my 2022 with a little over 3k miles on it the other day. I noticed that if I cut the air all the way off. Then cut it back on and then cut the a/c on it would work fine again. It would run for about another 10 minutes, then do it again. The a/c blew cold the entire time, it was just the fan speed that appeared to change even though it was set on full blast the whole time. You could barely feel any air coming out. That is the only day it has happened though so kind of strange.