Air Conditioning - not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPeazy

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing any issues with their AC in their Gen 3? A couple times now I've been driving around and the AC is on but nothing seems to be coming out of the vents. I'll have the fan speed turned all the way up to 7 and can hear a blower/fan in the dash that sounds like it's working, but literally little to no air is coming out of the vents. This has happened randomly to me a few times now. Then after I turn off the vehicle and let it sit for a little while (call it an hour plus) the AC will work again like nothing was wrong. I took it to the dealer a week ago for oil change service and had them scan the AC for codes / check freon levels, but everything came back clean and they said nothing was wrong. Said to keep an eye on it and if the problem keeps coming back they'd have to remove the dash to do a more in depth diagnosis. Obviously, don't want to have them rip out the dash if that's not needed.

cscape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have felt a weak HVAC fan myself. AC is working though - fan speed just seemed low for ‘full blast’ and even the fan speeds below it. I powered off HVAC while driving and turned back on and it seemed ok for me. I think others have reported weak HVAC related to the gen 3.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing any issues with their AC in their Gen 3? A couple times now I've been driving around and the AC is on but nothing seems to be coming out of the vents. I'll have the fan speed turned all the way up to 7 and can hear a blower/fan in the dash that sounds like it's working, but literally little to no air is coming out of the vents. This has happened randomly to me a few times now. Then after I turn off the vehicle and let it sit for a little while (call it an hour plus) the AC will work again like nothing was wrong. I took it to the dealer a week ago for oil change service and had them scan the AC for codes / check freon levels, but everything came back clean and they said nothing was wrong. Said to keep an eye on it and if the problem keeps coming back they'd have to remove the dash to do a more in depth diagnosis. Obviously, don't want to have them rip out the dash if that's not needed.
Try using the search engine & see what you come up with.

Backwoods

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen with mine last week. Exactly the same thing. It has only happened once (have around 4K miles on my 2022). It worked perfectly again after stopping for lunch for an hour. It seems to me that this would indicate some sort of logic error rather than a freezing up. I’ll check in with my dealer as well, but it seems to be more than just a one off issue.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. The ac temp was always cold, measured it at the vent but the fan was not blowing any air. I shut off the ac and let the fan run for a few mins on its own. Then hit the ac button again and the ac started working again. I feel like its more of an electronic component issue then a low refrigerant issue.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damper door motor? Is air coming out the heat vents? If you can hear the fan, then what’s blocking the air flow

tdford6

Reaction score
This just happened to us on our '18 Expedition (44k mi) on a 6hr road trip. Never happened before. We have had the service valve replaced last year due to leak, but at that time we had NO ac.

Turn on car, AC runs cold, 30min later fan starts getting slower and slower, inside car gets warmer. Will continue to get worse and worse. What we did was turn AC off and run the fan on blast for about 5min. Hit the AC button and it would run fine again like before for another 30min or so. Rinse and Repeat. I tried numerous methods of trying to keep the AC fan running. But if I would continue to push it then I would eventually just hear the fan blowing but very little air coming out. Air was cold, but something was blocking it.

I'm going to go have it checked for levels. My first guess is low refrigerant.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to me for the second time today. It will be going into service later this week. The first time it happened was about 2 months ago. It has only happened on trips over 80 miles, then it doesn't do it consistently.

Fortunately, it was a pleasant 107 when it took a dump on me, otherwise, it might have sucked.

The fan works, you can hear it ramp up and down, but no air comes out. It doesn't matter if you shift from floor, vent or defrost, there is no air movement.