Aftermarket vs OEM Bed Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mebersole92

Reaction score
I have the factory hard tri fold tonneau cover on order. Anyone have any experience with the factory cover or should I order aftermarket??

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't received the truck cancel the order. They had mine on hold just for the bed cover.

Dumb I know specially when you can order one from amazon in 2 days

OP
OP
mebersole92

mebersole92

Reaction score
If you haven't received the truck cancel the order. They had mine on hold just for the bed cover.

Dumb I know specially when you can order one from amazon in 2 days
Any brand recommendations? I have a bakflip tri fold on my 2018 platinum that I do like. I have debated going retractable as well.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory hard tri fold tonneau cover on order. Anyone have any experience with the factory cover or should I order aftermarket??
the OEM Tri fold brand is Extang solid fold. I had one on my 18'. I had no complaints. it went with the truck. I ordered the same one but this time from extang. it came out damaged and I tried it anyway. I had to return it because it locks from underneath and didnt work well with the power tailgate. I kept getting a tailgate ajar on dash. I had to shut it manually to get it to go away. I ended up getting a LOMAS. Stance. like it a lot better. about the same weight but works with the power tailgate no errors. plus it can be shut after tailgate is up.

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any brand recommendations? I have a bakflip tri fold on my 2018 platinum that I do like. I have debated going retractable as well.
First of all if your NOT "In Production" you should be able to make changes to your order like deleting accessory options. 21 Raptor history seems to suggest certain accessory options like Tonneau covers, spray in bed liners, decals, etc can hold up finishing production because they are completed by 3rd party companies at or near the DTP.

You can ask your dealer to order the Ford or just about any Tonneau cover separately as a dealer installed option. So later it can it be installed when the part comes into the dealer.

I also had the Ford tri-fold on my Gen2 and it was a great Tonneau cover, but for the fact that unlike the Back flip it does not fold upto the back window. So folded up it covers the last 2ft of the bed. Also if you need the entire bed the tri-fold can be removed in about 5 minutes.

On my Gen3 I decided go with the Ford "Retractable" Tonneau cover and it is a huge improvement over the tri-fold, but again the Retractable roll up "Can" does take up about 12" at the front of the bed. Also retractable Tonneau covers are pretty complex therefore not easily removed. For me that's not a big deal & the flexibility far outweighs the removal issues.

Last edited:

osprey6

Reaction score
Factory cover is good however I bought a Diamondback HD and love it. Of course it depends on what you plan on using your truck bed. Security, waterproof or if that is not all that import you can adjust from there. Some covers go the extreme in both directions and once you decide where you want to be you can pick your top.

msharpe08

Reaction score
First of all if your NOT "In Production" you should be able to make changes to your order like deleting accessory options. 21 Raptor history seems to suggest certain accessory options like Tonneau covers, spray in bed liners, decals, etc can hold up finishing production because they are completed by 3rd party companies at or near the DTP.

You can ask your dealer to order the Ford or just about any Tonneau cover separately as a dealer installed option. So later it can it be installed when the part comes into the dealer.

I also had the Ford tri-fold on my Gen2 and it was a great Tonneau cover, but for the fact that unlike the Back flip it does not fold upto the back window. So folded up it covers the last 2ft of the bed. Also if you need the entire bed the tri-fold can be removed in about 5 minutes.

On my Gen3 I decided go with the Ford "Retractable" Tonneau cover and it is a huge improvement over the tri-fold, but again the Retractable roll up "Can" does take up about 12" at the front of the bed. Also retractable Tonneau covers are pretty complex therefore not easily removed. For me that's not a big deal & the flexibility far outweighs the removal issues.
I took delivery of my Gen 3 2021 in Oct and I ordered it with the Tri-Fold. So far I love it and have zero complaints. Not sure if there was a difference between the Gen 2 and the Gen 3 covers, but mine does fold up all the way and will rest against the back window. It has an arm on each side that you can lift up to lock it in place. No issues going down the road with it folded up against the window (other than you can't see out the back window).

JaLav

Reaction score
I'm considering getting the Gator Recoil Retractable Cover for my 2018. The reviews on the internet seem to be good enough. Is there another cover to consider?