Aftermarket TPMS installation (Orange P409S)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I finally got around to finishing up the install on the aftermarket TPMS system I received for Christmas. I wanted this system so I could actually monitor the pressure at each tire, instead of the factory system only saying "Low Pressure" and having no idea which tire or pressure it's at!

Also when off-roading, many of us air down our tires... so the "Low Pressure" alarm is ALWAYS in, and you can't actually tell when you really have a flat! I ran for about 1/2 mile on a flat front tire off road at 70MPH, before I knew it was totally flat... not good.

The system is made by Orange Electronics, and is shown here:

Passenger Car TPMS (P409S) - TPMS - Orange Electronic USA - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

It has a nice easy to read LCD display, that shows the pressure and temperature of each tire. This is especially nice, because even at a distance it's very easy to read even in daylight.

The installation of the tire sensors themselves has to be done when changing tires, as it REPLACES the factory TPMS sensors. Your factory TPMS sensors will be removed! Installation was a piece of cake, Sears didn't even charge extra (on top of the regular mount/balance).

Now the screen itself is the entire unit. It's a wireless system, doesn't require antenna or extra module. The power cable that's included, is a 12V cigarette lighter style cable. Plugged it in, and worked right away:

6045d740.jpg

The instructions stated you could cut the cable apart to hard wire... which I did... and it simply did NOT work well after that. It was spotty at first, and then wouldn't come on at all. My wiring was done as instructed. I called them, and apparently they have had many reports of this, possible due to a bad batch of cables that the overseas manufacturer changes specs on without telling them.

Regardless... if you want to hard wire this, which most people will, I would recommend buying a female cigarette socket and using THAT to wire it... so you don't mess with the cable. Inside the cable is also the antenna for this system! So when cutting to hard wire, the antenna integrity can also be affected. Just use the socket, and hard wire that... more reliable and won't interfere with the antenna in the cable.

In any case... they sent me a new cable, free of charge (2 actually) and asked that I try again to help them troubleshoot the cable issues, which I will down the road.

For placement, I wanted a place it would not be in the way, and most importantly easy to read! Well, I found the IDEAL location. I NEVER tow anything large enough to need trailer brakes, and likely never will with this truck. I did some dash disassembly, and removed the factory trailer brake controller from its location! This unit is the PERFECT SIZE for this space in the dash!

Now you can't simply unplug the trailer brake controller, or you get all kinds of alarms and faults. So I tucked it away down by the floor, behind the kick panels:

7fd9d30f.jpg

Keep in mind, I wrapped it in cloth and secured VERY tightly to the steel structure next to it, so it won't bounce around when off roading. It can still be accessed if needed, so it's not disabled by any means.

Next I made a small steel backing plate to support the new module, using some scrap I had laying around, and a Dremel. It's not pretty, but you don't actually see it, so it doesn't really matter!

ef91a388.jpg

d6eb93ba.jpg

After that it was as simple as running the power wire, and affixing the display unit to the plate with 3M double-sided tape. This is the end result:

6dda6432.jpg

The unit is purposely angled "up" just a tiny bit, to assist in viewing the screen from the drivers seat.

0028b99f.jpg

40bf10e5.jpg

Much better system than factory! Now... to get the factory TPMS fault to go away, it's time to get creative! (to be continued in a week or so)

Oh, and it's only $110 on Amazon right now!

Amazon.com: Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Automotive

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks cool. I just hate the gaps in between but it still looks decent

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to what you come up with for getting rid of OEM warning. It's a particular PITA on the 2010s.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Looking forward to what you come up with for getting rid of OEM warning. It's a particular PITA on the 2010s.

x2.

Any update?

On my 2010 airing down has become pointless because once you air down the warning lights interfere with your ability to FULLY disable traction control. Basically the TPMS warning light forces you to choose between either airing down or fully disabling TC.... Easy choice for me, I just don't air down.

But I'd really like to have the ability to do both simultaneously. At one point a guy I know at Shamaley Ford agreed tweak the truck's computer to lower the psi warning level to where the warning light doesnt kick on til 10psi.... Dropped my truck off, thinking "problem solved" but then he called back the next day and said their legal department told him he couldn't do it.

So I'm considering either yanking my TPMS and putting them all in a pressurized PVC tube then sticking it under the backseat or putting them all in the spare.

I really wanna know what you're working on Blue. One way or another I need to get that warning light disabled.

Do you guys with 2011s and 2012s have this same problem??

M1919A2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would seem to be a very important item to know. Strange that a purpose built vehicle has such a built in defect!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x2.

Any update?

On my 2010 airing down has become pointless because once you air down the warning lights interfere with your ability to FULLY disable traction control. Basically the TPMS warning light forces you to choose between either airing down or fully disabling TC.... Easy choice for me, I just don't air down.

But I'd really like to have the ability to do both simultaneously. At one point a guy I know at Shamaley Ford agreed tweak the truck's computer to lower the psi warning level to where the warning light doesnt kick on til 10psi.... Dropped my truck off, thinking "problem solved" but then he called back the next day and said their legal department told him he couldn't do it.

So I'm considering either yanking my TPMS and putting them all in a pressurized PVC tube then sticking it under the backseat or putting them all in the spare.

I really wanna know what you're working on Blue. One way or another I need to get that warning light disabled.

Do you guys with 2011s and 2012s have this same problem??

On my 2012... I can hit "ok" on the steering wheel to get rid of the low pressure nag message. It does come back on eventually, but I am able disable TC.

-Greg

RaptorRexCullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got around to finishing up the install on the aftermarket TPMS system I received for Christmas. I wanted this system so I could actually monitor the pressure at each tire, instead of the factory system only saying "Low Pressure" and having no idea which tire or pressure it's at!

Also when off-roading, many of us air down our tires... so the "Low Pressure" alarm is ALWAYS in, and you can't actually tell when you really have a flat! I ran for about 1/2 mile on a flat front tire off road at 70MPH, before I knew it was totally flat... not good.

The system is made by Orange Electronics, and is shown here:

Passenger Car TPMS (P409S) - TPMS - Orange Electronic USA - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

It has a nice easy to read LCD display, that shows the pressure and temperature of each tire. This is especially nice, because even at a distance it's very easy to read even in daylight.

The installation of the tire sensors themselves has to be done when changing tires, as it REPLACES the factory TPMS sensors. Your factory TPMS sensors will be removed! Installation was a piece of cake, Sears didn't even charge extra (on top of the regular mount/balance).

Now the screen itself is the entire unit. It's a wireless system, doesn't require antenna or extra module. The power cable that's included, is a 12V cigarette lighter style cable. Plugged it in, and worked right away:

6045d740.jpg

The instructions stated you could cut the cable apart to hard wire... which I did... and it simply did NOT work well after that. It was spotty at first, and then wouldn't come on at all. My wiring was done as instructed. I called them, and apparently they have had many reports of this, possible due to a bad batch of cables that the overseas manufacturer changes specs on without telling them.

Regardless... if you want to hard wire this, which most people will, I would recommend buying a female cigarette socket and using THAT to wire it... so you don't mess with the cable. Inside the cable is also the antenna for this system! So when cutting to hard wire, the antenna integrity can also be affected. Just use the socket, and hard wire that... more reliable and won't interfere with the antenna in the cable.

In any case... they sent me a new cable, free of charge (2 actually) and asked that I try again to help them troubleshoot the cable issues, which I will down the road.

For placement, I wanted a place it would not be in the way, and most importantly easy to read! Well, I found the IDEAL location. I NEVER tow anything large enough to need trailer brakes, and likely never will with this truck. I did some dash disassembly, and removed the factory trailer brake controller from its location! This unit is the PERFECT SIZE for this space in the dash!

Now you can't simply unplug the trailer brake controller, or you get all kinds of alarms and faults. So I tucked it away down by the floor, behind the kick panels:

7fd9d30f.jpg

Keep in mind, I wrapped it in cloth and secured VERY tightly to the steel structure next to it, so it won't bounce around when off roading. It can still be accessed if needed, so it's not disabled by any means.

Next I made a small steel backing plate to support the new module, using some scrap I had laying around, and a Dremel. It's not pretty, but you don't actually see it, so it doesn't really matter!

ef91a388.jpg

d6eb93ba.jpg

After that it was as simple as running the power wire, and affixing the display unit to the plate with 3M double-sided tape. This is the end result:

6dda6432.jpg

The unit is purposely angled "up" just a tiny bit, to assist in viewing the screen from the drivers seat.

0028b99f.jpg

40bf10e5.jpg

Much better system than factory! Now... to get the factory TPMS fault to go away, it's time to get creative! (to be continued in a week or so)

Oh, and it's only $110 on Amazon right now!

Amazon.com: Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System: Automotive

So its been a few months. Are you still happy with your purchase? Im on the fence about buying one still.

OP
OP
BlueSVT

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still VERY happy! I've put some abuse to these things and they still work, including the past Raptor Expedition, the Land Rush 1000, including a lot of Pre-running for that event!

I'm actually surprised myself... I wasn't sure how they'd hold up to all the thrashing.

RaptorRexCullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow thats really good to hear. thanks for the prompt reply. Looks like ill be ordering them after all.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

what does it come with for mounting options? I dont want to remove my trailer brake controller so I need to mount it somewhere else. Does it come with a suction to mount to the dash?