aftermarket oil flexible dipstick tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bonehook

Bonehook

Reaction score
Lokar was the one that I was looking at....any idea as to which one would be compatible?

I will call them Monday to see what they have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bonehook

Bonehook

Reaction score
Just an update.

I ordered the Lokar flexible stainless steel dipstick tube with dipstick (LOK-ED-5014). The tube will pass between the engine mount and engine without raising the engine. A little grease on the O ring helped to get it into the oil pan without damaging it. The actual dipstick does not stick out as far into the oil pain as the OEM dipstick in its tube. A separate dipstick (LOK 5062) can be ordered and cut so that it is 1 1/4 inch longer and screwed into the handle that comes with the dipstick tube kit. I made a custom aluminum bracket that measures 8 inches and screws into the block at the same location.

This set-up saved me the hassle of raising the engine again and I now have room for a second battery on the passenger side if I decide to go that route in the future.

I hope this helps someone in the future. I have been raising the engine by pulling the main bolt and leaving the mount on the frame (which has been really easy to get back together). Separating the mount from the motor seems like a big hassle to get back in unless you leave some of the bolts partially threaded in.

Purchased at Summit
LOK-ED-5014 $58.97
LOK 5062 $7.97

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good stuff. Bolts have to come out of everything for header install blondie. No room with the mount still secured to something. The shop that did yukons broke his dipstick tube also. As long as you're gentle it'll be alright.

OP
OP
Bonehook

Bonehook

Reaction score
I did my long tube header install at night and probably should have waited till I had better light. The exhaust manifold comes off easily with the dipstick tube in place but the header doesn't go on that way.

The only person I have to blame is myself on this one but I'm happy that its fixed and I had fun doing the work myself.

Ski169

Reaction score
Thanks for this write-up. Just went through this same hassle. Got the new exhaust installed and got to installing the dipstick just to discover that I couldn't route it back in. Your write-up saved me a lot of searching. I did call Lokar and they didn't know of that particular part number working on the 6.2 but apparently it works on the 5.4 as well as the 4.6 it's advertised for. So now to get it ordered and fix it. This is the last thing to get the truck back to 100%. And FYI, the stock oil tube cut and bent/pinched closed works in the mean time.

decoste77

Reaction score
I'm a member here and let me tell you that dipstick tube is a mother if you don't pay attention to how and where it came out. I did the KOOKS LT's yesterday and know where in the instructions does it say anything about the oil dipstick tube. It fishes in between the block and the motor mount in the center of the header. This step needs to be expressed in the instructions in my opinion.

P.S. do the headers before a SC you can only raise the motor about 3/4''-1''

Ski169

Reaction score
I'm a member here and let me tell you that dipstick tube is a mother if you don't pay attention to how and where it came out. I did the KOOKS LT's yesterday and know where in the instructions does it say anything about the oil dipstick tube. It fishes in between the block and the motor mount in the center of the header. This step needs to be expressed in the instructions in my opinion.

P.S. do the headers before a SC you can only raise the motor about 3/4''-1''

I did the same thing last weekend and had the same problem. Nowhere in the instructions is it mentioned and there's no special cutout on the Kooks headers for the dipstick like there is on the stock manifold. I just installed the flexible tube last night and it's a little short. I just have to mount it with a bracket now.

decoste77

Reaction score
The factory one does fit right back in but I had to raise the motor back up and it goes between the two center header tubes and behind the motor mount plate once you figure it out it drops right in but its nice to have a second hand to guide it to the hole on the block (hr to figure it out using every cuss word in your vocabulary 5mins to install). Now I'm trying to quiet the truck down, sounds good but way to loud I ordered Borla #400115 muffler.