GEN 2 Aftermarket intakes vs. direct fit performance filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running the Corsa intake as it came as part of a package deal with the Corsa exhaust.

https://www.corsaperformance.com/co...oboost-powercore-closed-box-air-intake-49835d

At the last off road event the hose coming out of the filter box popped off (despite being hose clamped) which I caught eventually, but I really didn't like because that could mean I was sucking unfiltered dusty air directly into the engine.

Pretty sure all the Raptor intakes use the same factory inlet above the grill so I'm not sold on the heat protection of them and the sound is not that different, but yet they are still required for many tunes (I'm currently not tuned).

I was thinking of going back to the factory airbox and getting a washable dry "performance" filter like the K&N or similar. Anyone have similar thoughts?

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running the Corsa intake as it came as part of a package deal with the Corsa exhaust.

https://www.corsaperformance.com/co...oboost-powercore-closed-box-air-intake-49835d

At the last off road event the hose coming out of the filter box popped off (despite being hose clamped) which I caught eventually, but I really didn't like because that could mean I was sucking unfiltered dusty air directly into the engine.

Pretty sure all the Raptor intakes use the same factory inlet above the grill so I'm not sold on the heat protection of them and the sound is not that different, but yet they are still required for many tunes (I'm currently not tuned).

I was thinking of going back to the factory airbox and getting a washable dry "performance" filter like the K&N or similar. Anyone have similar thoughts?

Sir,

I enjoy engineering topics—as its fun to put science to the test.

FIRST: Kudos to all who got the board up/running again. Well done, and a tip of the hat!

From an extensively researched OEM engineering (my company not Ford)—where we looked in detail at NA & FI (induction) motors that need same or more CFMs than our trucks:

1. Factory Gen 2 Raptor has a great CAI from factory.
2. Flat/panel filter provides well above CFMs required for stock and mods that retain 3.5L and TT system (even if boost went higher/bigger turbos). Mods would HAVE TO INCREASE ENGINE DISPLACEMENT along with SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER boost (the level of which aren’t healthy for a daily driver).
3. Advantage of a cylindrical filter is of course more surface area/pleats—which pragmatically means only you could go longer between cleaning (due to the larger surface area).
4. The airflow advantage of the cylindrical filter means zero compared to the flat/panel filter, even in a modified engine as surplus CFMs exist.
5. You can clean/replace an dry synthetic filter very easily and quickly—while having excellent filtration. I have an AEM for reasons that are my own and respect K&N (parent company).

NOTE1: I work for an OEM and admit my biases after exhaustively looking at every test.
NOTE2: I went with an AEM dry aftermarket filter (after running a K&N briefly) for my personal/engineering based reasons where I had challenged enough data. Ease of cleaning—winner, winner, chicken dinner.
NOTE3: K&N(R/TM) and AEM(R/TM) make high quality products and I will never state one is better than another—as they both supply valued products/service to many OEMs.

Raptor Recommendation: As a Raptor owner, yes after-market air boxes certainly look prettier than our OEM air boxes, but do nothing to improve performance—even in modified vehicles. If you like the looks of an aftermarket airbox—go for it, but don’t expect any improvement (perhaps intake noise).

I appreciate aesthetics as much as the next person (but I don’t spend anytime looking at my engine cover or air intake unless maintenance is necessary). On motorcycles and vehicles where engine components are visible—heck yes, or for trailer queens at car shows—same as the hood is up all the time.

Last edited:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Sir,

I enjoy engineering topics—as its fun to put science to the test.

FIRST: Kudos to all who got the board up/running again. Well done, and a tip of the hat!

From an extensively researched OEM engineering (my company not Ford)—where we looked in detail at NA & FI (induction) motors that need same or more CFMs than our trucks:

1. Factory Gen 2 Raptor has a great CAI from factory.
2. Flat/panel filter provides well above CFMs required for stock and mods that retain 3.5L and TT system (even if boost went higher/bigger turbos). Mods would HAVE TO INCREASE ENGINE DISPLACEMENT along with SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER boost (the level of which aren’t healthy for a daily driver).
3. Advantage of a cylindrical filter is of course more surface area/pleats—which pragmatically means only you could go longer between cleaning (due to the larger surface area).
4. The airflow advantage of the cylindrical filter means zero compared to the flat/panel filter, even in a modified engine as surplus CFMs exist.
5. You can clean/replace an dry synthetic filter very easily and quickly—while having excellent filtration. I have an AEM for reasons that are my own and respect K&N (parent company).

NOTE1: I work for an OEM and admit my biases after exhaustively looking at every test.
NOTE2: I went with an AEM dry aftermarket filter (after running a K&N briefly) for my personal/engineering based reasons where I had challenged enough data. Ease of cleaning—winner, winner, chicken dinner.
NOTE3: K&N(R/TM) and AEM(R/TM) make high quality products and I will never state one is better than another—as they both supply valued products/service to many OEMs.

Raptor Recommendation: As a Raptor owner, yes after-market air boxes certainly look prettier than our OEM air boxes, but do nothing to improve performance—even in modified vehicles. If you like the looks of an aftermarket airbox—go for it, but don’t expect any improvement (perhaps intake noise).

I appreciate aesthetics as much as the next person (but I don’t spend anytime looking at my engine cover or air intake unless maintenance is necessary). On motorcycles and vehicles where engine components are visible—heck yes, or for trailer queens at car shows—same as the hood is up all the time.

I went to an AFE dry flat cleanable filter.