Aftermarket exhaust Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rappin37

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it worth spending 3k on an exhaust?how much can they make it improved when stock sounds solid. Interested to hear from someone who made this move , is it worth it ?

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 with a Flowmaster FX and X pipe resonator delete. Also have a stock exhaust Gen 3. After playing around with various exhaust configurations on the Gen 2 and given they both have the same engine. I don’t think any aftermarket exhaust system is gonna make the Gen 3 sound tremendously better. My Gen 2 does sound somewhat better, but regardless it just doesn’t sound like a 5.0 or a Hemi or whatever Chevy V8 they have.
Idle to 3K is nice, the V-6 just loses something after that, not bad, just not great. Just my opinion. But don’t get me wrong, I love driving my Gen 2 even more than I loved driving my GT-350, which probably has the best sounding stock exhaust…. ever.

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For any exhaust to be worth it for me on a G3, it would need to be at least 20 lbs lighter than stock with equal or better sound. That’s not happening IMO.

Of course, a company like Akrapovič could make a Ti/CF axle-back system and achieve that, but the sales volume and price would make it a losing proposition. Something like that would probably cost close to $10K…

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets face it, there is no making a v6 sound good or close to a v8. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig.

OP
OP
Rappin37

Rappin37

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we should thank Ford for
getting us a great sounding exhaust compared to previously years. It’s definitely an upgrade for a V6.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know the Magnaflow exhaust is the only one that keeps the factory multi exhaust setting option. I did hear it in person... it sound ever so slightly different. Not worth it imo

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford really missed the boat by not putting the Coyote in these trucks. I wonder what their reasoning was, did they not want it making more power than the Mustang, so they stuck the 3.5 in it and made more power any way. The world will never know.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford really missed the boat by not putting the Coyote in these trucks. I wonder what their reasoning was, did they not want it making more power than the Mustang, so they stuck the 3.5 in it and made more power any way. The world will never know.
Probably because in truck form the 3.5 makes more power than the 5.0 and more torque than the Mustang flavor, with less weight

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it worth spending 3k on an exhaust?how much can they make it improved when stock sounds solid. Interested to hear from someone who made this move , is it worth it ?
I have the magnaflow, it sounds nice and a bit louder, also gives the ability to remove the resonators and get a little louder if you want. Overall I think it was worth it, especially with all the people complaining about the exhaust rattle issues with the stock exhaust.