Affordable suspension upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lorenzo_spag

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I plan this summer to spend some time and money to replace my rear leaf springs and possibly upgrade some other suspension components to improve the overall ride if possible. I had all four Fox factory shocks rebuilt in the past year, but I still feel every little bump in the road and I am wondering if there are any suggestions out there on upgrades that won't break the bank.
I've done a fair bit of research and reading through the forums to see what other people have done, but I figured I would make this thread to get any input people might have from experience and update as I go.
I have a 2010 Scap 6.2 with 167k miles. I drive about 15k miles a year 99.9% on road (judge me if you must), so I want to make the on road experience as best as possible.
Overall in my experience I don't find the Fox shocks, even after rebuilding them, to be that nice overall especially with Michigan's terrible roads.

This summer I plan to buy/upgrade
New tires (happy to take recommendations on this too, looking for 35s probably)
New leaf springs (mine are definitely looking tired especially with a payload, and the most I tow is a 19 foot '84 Ski Nautique Boat once or twice a year)
Level the truck
Spend an additional 1-2k doing whatever is most recommended to improve on road ride quality
Some other unrelated projects I'll be tackling are undercoating the truck and welding a custom chase rack and tire carrier.

Any input/suggestions are appreciated, so thanks for your time!

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want a cushier ride I suggest Geiser Springs up front on bottom perch and a set of Deavers or Icon springs out back and keep your Fox 2.5's.
Run BFG KO2 35x12.50/17 at 35 psi and you will notice a big difference in comfort. Air pressure makes a big difference in comfort.
On bottom perch most trucks sit close to level with the geisers.
You dont need a +3 Deaver or the extra leaf Icon if you are not carrying weight offroad.

jhodro

Reaction score
In the very cheap but still pretty good realm, I installed a pro comp add-a-leaf on my 2010 SCAB along with F150 blocks. Total cost about $200 and a big improvement over my stock 173k mile leafs.

52000466530_538ec2f086_b.jpg
51999993623_c85dacb114_b.jpg
dirt tested and approved:
51986879614_e43e437736_b.jpg

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a cushier ride I suggest Geiser Springs up front on bottom perch and a set of Deavers or Icon springs out back and keep your Fox 2.5's.
Run BFG KO2 35x12.50/17 at 35 psi and you will notice a big difference in comfort. Air pressure makes a big difference in comfort.
On bottom perch most trucks sit close to level with the geisers.
You dont need a +3 Deaver or the extra leaf Icon if you are not carrying weight offroad.
This.

Shocks are only part of the equation, I definitely recommend the Geisers on bottom perch and Deavers, springs make a world of difference (as do tires and inflation). At that mileage you might want to check lower/upper balljoints as well if you haven't already...

OP
OP
lorenzo_spag

lorenzo_spag

Reaction score
In the very cheap but still pretty good realm, I installed a pro comp add-a-leaf on my 2010 SCAB along with F150 blocks. Total cost about $200 and a big improvement over my stock 173k mile leafs.

View attachment 350346
View attachment 350344
dirt tested and approved:
View attachment 350345
Thanks for the detailed info!! This might be what I do for now for the next couple thousand miles then replace them all together later on. Great suggestion! The support on this forum is awesome

Big Silver

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a 2012 S crew with only 90,000 Kilometers on the clock
and I get major wheel hop weather its on snow wet roads or in the dirt.
Thinking that pro comp leaf JHODRO put on his truck might help.
Any thots or ideas to combat the hop would be apprieciated.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta scour the Internet and those apps that people sell stuff on, like Offerup and Craigslist. You’ll be surprised what people sell. Plus, it’s all negotiable.