Affordable suspension upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhodro

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a 2012 S crew with only 90,000 Kilometers on the clock
and I get major wheel hop weather its on snow wet roads or in the dirt.
Thinking that pro comp leaf JHODRO put on his truck might help.
Any thots or ideas to combat the hop would be apprieciated.
The combo of the additional leaf & shorter F150 block definitely help but, of course, isn't as good as a full leaf pack w/ no block. Got the pro comp add-a-leaf from ebay and the F150 blocks from Tasca. Just an FYI, the F150 bumps don't have an integrated strike plate which wasn't a problem for me as I have RPG bumps. Initial lift gain was about 1" but has since settled down to approx 1/2" over stock.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Wheel hop is from soft springs on top of an axel block, big (big-ish) tires and enough power to spin them.
The cheapest way to eliminate this and keep the stock leaf setup is with a traction bar. Look up SVC, Cal-Trac, RPG etc... there are a bunch out there. The add-a-leaf will stiffen the spring up a bit which slows down the frequency of the hop, but will not fix the issue. The housing will still bend the sprig over the edge of the block and cause the same pinion defection that creates the wheel hop.

Using Icon or Deaver springs eliminates the axel block so there is less axel wind-up. It wont completely eliminate wheel hop going this route, but pretty damn close and you get the added benefit of better ride on and off-road and more droop travel. Adding bigger tires or more HP will make this setup less likely to control the hop, but like I said, still a million times better than stock.

OP
OP
lorenzo_spag

lorenzo_spag

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Having the shocks rebuilt helped me out with this, especially on the sharper bumps on the road from when they fill cracks and it sticks up above the road surface. Not totally gone, which is why I'll do new springs next, but definitely improve. I had all four shocks rebuilt for $600.

daytraitors

Reaction score
Having the shocks rebuilt helped me out with this, especially on the sharper bumps on the road from when they fill cracks and it sticks up above the road surface. Not totally gone, which is why I'll do new springs next, but definitely improve. I had all four shocks rebuilt for $600.
Did you ever go with the suspension mods? The 2/1 springs were really soft. My truck is rusty, so I may have cracked them when I loaded a pallet of shingles in the truck bed. I did the 3/1 ford leaf pack + Timbren SES and feel like I need to remove the stock spacers. The ride is stiffer, but I'm still on the original shocks, so I don't want to judge until I replace them with the new crew cab fox shocks I just got.