AFE Equal Length downpipes - where to find?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
Hey guys, in my efforts to research and design the best sounding exhaust system for our Ecoboost trucks I am on the search for an AFE equal length downpipe (passenger side). There are a few sites that carry them, but they're all out of stock and it looks like AFE is not producing them any longer.

Does anyone here know where to find one, or, have a lead on one for sale?

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your best bet will be the trombone res delete from SPD as that makes the exhaust equal length as well.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through this last year. I tried for some time to find the AFE equal length downpipe given the flexibility to run or not to run a resonator. However, I finally gave up and got the SPD equal length resonator delete.

OP
OP
F

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
I think your best bet will be the trombone res delete from SPD as that makes the exhaust equal length as well.
I already have one of those. The problem is - it doesn't fit with any aftermarket exhaust system without modifications, for the most part. Especially not with Supercab trucks.

Also - the loop sits low to the ground and I've scraped it on the dunes hard enough to pull the clamp loose that connects the passenger side downpipe.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have one of those. The problem is - it doesn't fit with any aftermarket exhaust system without modifications, for the most part. Especially not with Supercab trucks.

Also - the loop sits low to the ground and I've scraped it on the dunes hard enough to pull the clamp loose that connects the passenger side downpipe.
Mine doesn't hang that low... also SPD is coming out with a replacement muffler within the next few weeks.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you decide to sell your trombone let me know im interested.

OP
OP
F

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
Mine doesn't hang that low... also SPD is coming out with a replacement muffler within the next few weeks.
Mine hangs below the frame by enough that it scraped. There's enough room above that it could have been designed without dropping down at all, but I can understand that might have been an oversight given that so few Raptor guys actually off-road hard enough for that to be a potential problem.

I'll have to look at the SPD muffler but unless it's a dump style I'm not interested. Also, on a Supercab truck, there really isn't a lot of room to add an additional resonator or something else to control the noise or vibration at particular RPMs.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does equal length make a difference when at the tail pipe it doesn't seem they are equal length ? Is it because it needs to be equal length before the muffler? I can understand equal length header runners on a car where to the collectors it would make a difference but how so on the downpipe?

OP
OP
F

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
How does equal length make a difference when at the tail pipe it doesn't seem they are equal length ? Is it because it needs to be equal length before the muffler? I can understand equal length header runners on a car where to the collectors it would make a difference but how so on the downpipe?
You want the exhaust pulses on both sides of the cylinder bank occurring at an even interval. Nearly all exhaust systems merge the two together at some point along the way, whether by combining two pipes into one or using a dual entry muffler where the two streams get crossed internally.

You want whatever separate piping you have prior to the merge to be equal in length, so that the pulses merge at a regular pace. Like a metronome, rather than a heartbeat.

If you have two outputs, you also want those to be equal in length post muffler as well.

In my case I'm merging them into a single muffler with a single output.