Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

AFE Diff cover install question

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by zemuron99, Jun 17, 2019.

1. zemuron99

zemuron99 Full Access Member

OK, so received my AFE finned diff cover kit today. Test-fitting everything together, and it seems the included o-ring is larger than it needs to be (see upper left in the IMG_2229.JPG pic). Is this common, they just use one size for everyone and you trim-to-fit? I'm not sure I want even a minimal gap, seems it should be a solid unit. Did they send the wrong one and I can contact them for the right one? It's fully inserted in the channel and around the bolt holes except at the corner.

2. Johnkn

Johnkn Full Access Member

View all the Gale Banks diff cover tests on YouTube before installing that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

I would redo the seating again, seams like you started it in one spot and worked your way around. I believe you stretched it.
    Lay it on top and carefully press it into the straight parts first making sure you have equal lengths on the corners.
    Then work the oring around the bolt holes.

4. zemuron99

Will do, MTF. You're right, that's how I did it. Will give it another try in the AM. Thx, Thomas.

MTF likes this.
  5. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Well, he's definitely on to something that's for sure.

BUT, since I fried every bearing in the rear 5 years ago,
    I installed the AFE cover and switched to Mobil 1 gear oil, I've been trouble free.
    So it's better than the stock cover for now.

6. Dane

Dane FRF Addict

I have that cover and I second MTF's advice. It'll fit, you just have to get it to balance out a bit. It just takes a bit of fussing with it. Basically distribute that "slack" around the ring. You have it stretched a bit even though it doesn't seem like it. Lay it in loosely. AFE makes good stuff.

MTF likes this.
  7. Kirby Lastinger

Kirby Lastinger FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

The AFE was my first choice, but I went with the Ford Performance diff cover after watching the banks videos. Made good sense to me

MTF likes this.
  8. Sheeepdog18

Sheeepdog18 Full Access Member

I'll wait for the Banks rear diff. cover and see how well make it is before I'll get one.

9. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

It's going to be years before Banks makes diff covers for all vehicles.

10. zemuron99

Well, Gale's credentials are unimpeachable for sure. Interesting series, I especially liked the parts with the clear covers. I'd often wondered just what goes on in there. The flat-back cover demo was eye-opening for sure. I do wonder though, w/out eyeballing it for ourselves (or for himself) if the contention about starving the ring-pinion interface and/or pinion bearings really holds true. The lube aeration is pretty evident though, and is going to degrade lube performance. So...I've ordered the Ford performance cover, and when it arrives I'll compare them side-by-side to see which I prefer. I do like the looks of the Ford cover for sure. Couple of other comments I've read critiquing the Banks videos mention 'thousands' of hot-shot truckers using stock covers who don't burn out rears, but there sure are some who have, as well as some heavy RV'ers. There's also a smaller number using aftermarket covers who haven't had any issues either (which I why I question the 'starvation' hypothesis). Anyway...the AFE unit is still sitting in the garage, just waiting for the Ford unit to arrive (ordered Sat 6/22) later this week.

Just outta curiosity, has anyone installed an AFE (or similar) cover AND the Hellwig anti-sway bar? Will they both fit? That may be another issue that pushes me towards the Ford Performance cover...