Advice to prospective 2018/2019 Raptor Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pierceography

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 1, so not much I can add here. Just wanted to echo, the heated steering wheel, as little as you might think it add- GREAT! My wife's Yukon has it, wish I did!

My wife's new Explorer has the heated steering wheel. She loves it, and hates driving my truck in the winter (because it doesn't have one). I'm indifferent, but fortunately I don't have to make a decision on it.... The 802a package includes the heated steering wheel. :)

Reaction score
MoonRoofves also will increase retail value and make it easier to sell same with the bead locks BTW I’d get a bed cover

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
First message in the forum, as I'm looking to purchase a new Raptor in the next year. It seems so far off, but I have a lease on my current F150 through Q1/2019 and don't want to carry two truck payments.

After buying my wife a new Platinum Explorer, she's more open to the idea of a Raptor purchase (power is addictive). What sold her (and to a lesser extent, me) is the residual value the Raptor commands. While buying a car is rarely a strong financial decision, buying one that depreciates like a Raptor actually does make sense if you can accord the higher payment.

Anyways, ultimately I'm looking for advice. While my actual purchase is some time off (14-15 months as of this post), I'm a meticulous planner and enjoy sweating the details.

So with that, what advice can the forum offer to a new Raptor owner, with time to plan, for what will likely be a 2019 Raptor? (I realize there is only speculation on what [in]significant changes there will be between model years)

Some initial questions: 1) Are the beadlock rims worth it? I pretty much only like them for the color. 2) Has anyone had Roush modifications done? I'm considering the performance pac to increase HP/Torque. 3) I see a lot of Gen1 Raptors with interior color accents that match the paint. So far, the factory color accent for Gen2s is only orange, which is not available in the red color I'm considering. How do interior packages work if not factory?

Oh, and I'm about as far from a gearhead as you can get. I make my living in software, not hardware. So my ability to mod will be limited to paying someone else. (At least initially)

Also, I've put a deposit down at my local dealership for a 2018/2019 at MSRP, so hopefully all set on the hunt aspect.

Thanks, everyone!

(And sorry for the wall of text)

Ford has stated that there are having a refresh for the 2019 Raptor (it in the the press release where they talk about their Truck/SUV strategy), so I would look at the 19 more than the 18s. That being said I expect the 19 refresh to be mostly cosmetic to match the refreshed 2018 F-150s more than anything else. I would not expect any V8 or drastic change like that.

If resale is important then I maybe would avoid the Roush mods. A dealer most likely won't give you any credit for them versus stock when you trade it in, and some may actually give you a little less since the engine has been "modified".

Bead locks are not "worth" it if you are not doing offroading, but I think they are a good look and they do not cost much more than the regular wheels. I would personally get the beadlocks.

You can get anything done aftermarket to the interior that you want, the only limit would be cash. Once again you would just be paying for something that you would never see the value back in at resale. But if it is what you want do it! These are fun trucks, not really something you buy based purely on logic.

Last edited: