Advice regarding mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davey73

Reaction score
Hi! Newbie here. First Post.

I’ve always admired the Ford Raptor since they’ve come out. Now I’m ready to go hunting for the perfect one. I’ve expanded my search for nation wide. Slim pickings in my area (Boston). So far most I’ve found that is within my budget have over a 100,000 miles. Some well over. Year range is 11-14. How do these trucks hold up once they’ve hit these kind of numbers? Is over 100k nothing for these or will I see too many problems.

I also don’t drive my personal vehicles much. Maybe 5-7k a year.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

The 1st Gen owners will chime in; there are a couple “frequent flier” issues to be addressed or looked for, at that mileage range, you’ll need to look hard at the suspension, as there may be components at or near the end of service life depending heavily on the use and care the truck received. check for rust as well.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A well maintained gen 1 will make it to 250k no problem, there are maintenance intems though, just like with any performance vehicle. Fluid changes and suspension maintenance are required on these trucks. Try to buy one that isn't from a salt state, always look under the vehicle for rust, especially the rockers and cab corners. Good luck.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13 SCREW has 114,000 miles and still feels new and solid. BUT shocks have been rebuilt a few times, recently replaced lower ball joints, upper control arms, ect… but engine still feels great and still get 15-16mpg in city. if it’s at 100,000 miles or more, I would replace what i mentioned above plus new plugs, wires, coil boots, MAYBE coils, ALL fluids, fuse 27relocate. You know general maintenance, but the potential truck you find ALL DEPENDS on how well the previous owner maintained it. But i would Have no problem purchasing a 100,000 mile rig as long as it isn’t a rust bucket.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A well maintained gen 1 will make it to 250k no problem, there are maintenance intems though, just like with any performance vehicle. Fluid changes and suspension maintenance are required on these trucks. Try to buy one that isn't from a salt state, always look under the vehicle for rust, especially the rockers and cab corners. Good luck.
You beat me…. :(

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it is east coast so no offroading out there...... unless you count potholes.

lots of things to check. bed/cab gap. tailgate gap, axles, tierods, as mentioned rust, lower skid damage, rear diff leakage, shock leakage, etc.

when we bought tirina's truck we were at a land rover dealership. fancy high end looking dealership. luke (another member here, for the life of me cant remember his hser name) and i were underneath the truck for about 10 min. just laying on the ground inspecting everything. get up and of course covered in dirt and dust. so here we are dirty as hell and walking around this fancy dealership for a truck that costs us $35k. we didnt give a shit though. since we both knew what to look for, we saw this truck was well taken care of so tirina ended up buying it. i brought luke because i wanted a second set of eyes on it incase i missed something. best advice is to find an frf member near you and ask them for help with inspection. since you dont know much about what to look for, one of us seasoned ass holes can help. hell, im on injury, fly me out. i can give @BIRDMAN a punch in the gut while im there

edit.... @HORN HIGH ACES

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

davey73

Reaction score
well it is east coast so no offroading out there...... unless you count potholes.

lots of things to check. bed/cab gap. tailgate gap, axles, tierods, as mentioned rust, lower skid damage, rear diff leakage, shock leakage, etc.

when we bought tirina's truck we were at a land rover dealership. fancy high end looking dealership. luke (another member here, for the life of me cant remember his hser name) and i were underneath the truck for about 10 min. just laying on the ground inspecting everything. get up and of course covered in dirt and dust. so here we are dirty as hell and walking around this fancy dealership for a truck that costs us $35k. we didnt give a shit though. since we both knew what to look for, we saw this truck was well taken care of so tirina ended up buying it. i brought luke because i wanted a second set of eyes on it incase i missed something. best advice is to find an frf member near you and ask them for help with inspection. since you dont know much about what to look for, one of us seasoned ass holes can help. hell, im on injury, fly me out. i can give @BIRDMAN a punch in the gut while im there
Thank you. Extremely helpful. Seeing that I will most likely be buying out-of-state I may need help. If there’s a member close by that can check it out for me. I would compensate for the time.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Extremely helpful. Seeing that I will most likely be buying out-of-state I may need help. If there’s a member close by that can check it out for me. I would compensate for the time.
hell, us gen 1 owners would do it for free. now the gen 2 and gen 3 crowd might want a latte from starbucks

OP
OP
D

davey73

Reaction score
The roads around here are pretty rough. Probably worst then some trails that have been driven on. Lol.

I’m focusing my search in the southern states. Also pulling CARFAX reports. I’m a little nervous about purchasing so far away.