Advice on shipping a Raptor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pre-ordered my 2018 today, my dealer is 2000 miles away and the dealer is "drop-shipping" it from Ford factory to a local dealer near me. No extra shipping is needed nor does it cost any extra. Fully insured until you take delivery. It's as if you purchased the truck at your local dealer.

Just ask your selling dealer to drop-ship your order to your local dealer. It's an option in the order form - no extra fee.

The catch is that the selling dealer have to convince your local dealer to accept the drop-ship.

I have done it with with my BWM purchased out of state as well.

So with the help of a fellow member, I ordered a 2018 Raptor today. Minor detail is that the dealer I ordered it from is about 1,250 miles away from me. So, I have a few months to figure out how to get the truck to my house.... Here are my options as I see them:

1) Fly out on 1-way ticket. Coach ticket is $200 bucks (or $350 first class) and the flight gets in at 10pm... which means I need a hotel for the night. Then take delivery of Raptor next morning, and drive it back for 20 hours. Then pay gas, tolls, etc. I can also get a buddy to come with me as I have spare companion tickets and we can split driving

2) Ship it on an open car carrier

3) Ship it on an enclosed car carrier

So here is my question.... am I crazy to ship it? Raptor is bigger than a regular truck so I am worried about it getting scratched up, etc. Is this is legitimate concern or am I being too paranoid. If I decide to ship, should I pay up and use an enclosed carrier? I have never shipped a car, never-mind a $70k truck, so looking for some words of wisdom.

Last edited:

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I pre-ordered my 2018 today, my dealer is 2000 miles away and the dealer is "drop-shipping" it from Ford factory to a local dealer near me. No extra shipping is needed nor does it cost any extra. Fully insured until you take delivery. It's as if you purchased the truck at your local dealer.

Just ask your selling dealer to drop-ship your order to your local dealer. It's an option in the order form - no extra fee.

The catch is that the selling dealer have to convince your local dealer to accept the drop-ship.

I have done it with with my BWM purchased out of state as well.

That's why you pay for it... the dealer receiving gets to keep that extra "destination charge". No convincing needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as it were a loaner from Hertz without an off-road clause.

absolutely not. literally like my own. gentle for the first 300 miles. varying speeds ect. no speeds past +5 of limit. farting and coffee as required. vaping the whole way. window cracked, ac on, stereo bumpin down the road without a care in the world. and like i said 300k on what ever i drive lol. "you are covered on or offroad. have fun with the truck" my state farm agent lol:biggrin:

edit: i actually think the fly out and drive your truck home is the best option to the op. or do a drop ship to your local dealer. it is your truck and you should be the first to cruise it.

Last edited:

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there - Done that, from TN to CA. It cost me $2400, but I seriously doubt I could have driven it for much less. Plus, I was on a super tight schedule, in addition to throwing my back out the week before. So, I had to do the smartest thing for me...ship it.

I used the Carrier that the dealer uses all the time, so felt comfortable. The Raptor has to go on the top rack, and yes, the width needs to be considered.

Not too many others who could "fret" more about this than myself, so I can appreciate your nervousness. But, all things considered, there'd be more damage from bugs and rocks on the drive home, than there would be on the truck.

My $.02 ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grkmec

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback guys. The ford dealer that I ordered from isn't willing to drop ship it to my local dealer. The reasoning was something like "Ford Corporate" frowns on that, and this dealer is a smaller dealer with only a couple allocations, so they aren't willing to "risk it".

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Been there - Done that, from TN to CA. It cost me $2400, but I seriously doubt I could have driven it for much less. Plus, I was on a super tight schedule, in addition to throwing my back out the week before. So, I had to do the smartest thing for me...ship it.

I used the Carrier that the dealer uses all the time, so felt comfortable. The Raptor has to go on the top rack, and yes, the width needs to be considered.

Not too many others who could "fret" more about this than myself, so I can appreciate your nervousness. But, all things considered, there'd be more damage from bugs and rocks on the drive home, than there would be on the truck.

My $.02 ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was yours enclosed? Why was it so expensive? I'm wondering if it's due to weight. Shipped my GTR from ATL to CA for like $1200 enclosed carrier. Car sits pretty low and is wider than your avg car as well so I figured the price would be on the higher side. Car weighs around 3800lbs

GizmoVance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was yours enclosed? Why was it so expensive? I'm wondering if it's due to weight. Shipped my GTR from ATL to CA for like $1200 enclosed carrier. Car sits pretty low and is wider than your avg car as well so I figured the price would be on the higher side. Car weighs around 3800lbs

Open. Yes, it's all about WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT! That's ALL the shipper cares about. Weight = Fuel and the Raptor is just under 6,000 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're not willing to do that for some odd reason get a ticket and go get it. That way you take a nice drive and break the truck in. I ordered and drove mine 1800 miles home and it cost me 600 bucks for everything. And my truck got broken in. You're looking at least 2k to ship it 3rd party and that's IF you find someone willing to accept it. And you have to worry about it getting damaged.

Save the time and hassle and go get it.

^^This gets my vote^^

1200 miles to go get mine, and my out of pocket was also around $600. It's a great chance to get familiar with the truck and see some of the country on your way home, too.