Advice on shipping a Raptor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grkmec

Reaction score
So with the help of a fellow member, I ordered a 2018 Raptor today. Minor detail is that the dealer I ordered it from is about 1,250 miles away from me. So, I have a few months to figure out how to get the truck to my house.... Here are my options as I see them:

1) Fly out on 1-way ticket. Coach ticket is $200 bucks (or $350 first class) and the flight gets in at 10pm... which means I need a hotel for the night. Then take delivery of Raptor next morning, and drive it back for 20 hours. Then pay gas, tolls, etc. I can also get a buddy to come with me as I have spare companion tickets and we can split driving

2) Ship it on an open car carrier

3) Ship it on an enclosed car carrier

So here is my question.... am I crazy to ship it? Raptor is bigger than a regular truck so I am worried about it getting scratched up, etc. Is this is legitimate concern or am I being too paranoid. If I decide to ship, should I pay up and use an enclosed carrier? I have never shipped a car, never-mind a $70k truck, so looking for some words of wisdom.

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Same boat

I am in Salt Lake and my raptor is in South Carolina I pick it up on the 22nd (it's at the dealer waiting for me). Can any one refer a shipping company? I don't mind driving it back Id rather spend 3 days not sitting in a truck.

Penukoko

Reaction score
I am in Salt Lake and my raptor is in South Carolina I pick it up on the 22nd (it's at the dealer waiting for me). Can any one refer a shipping company? I don't mind driving it back Id rather spend 3 days not sitting in a truck.

I'm in salt lake too and can't find a dealer offering at MSRP anywhere. The ones here in Utah are still 10k over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
So with the help of a fellow member, I ordered a 2018 Raptor today. Minor detail is that the dealer I ordered it from is about 1,250 miles away from me. So, I have a few months to figure out how to get the truck to my house.... Here are my options as I see them:

1) Fly out on 1-way ticket. Coach ticket is $200 bucks (or $350 first class) and the flight gets in at 10pm... which means I need a hotel for the night. Then take delivery of Raptor next morning, and drive it back for 20 hours. Then pay gas, tolls, etc. I can also get a buddy to come with me as I have spare companion tickets and we can split driving

So here is my question.... am I crazy to ship it? Raptor is bigger than a regular truck so I am worried about it getting scratched up, etc. Is this is legitimate concern or am I being too paranoid. If I decide to ship, should I pay up and use an enclosed carrier? I have never shipped a car, never-mind a $70k truck, so looking for some words of wisdom.

Tell your dealer to "courtesy" ship it to your local dealer for the fee... they can do this option until your Vin/ build date is established... after that they cant.

If they're not willing to do that for some odd reason get a ticket and go get it. That way you take a nice drive and break the truck in. I ordered and drove mine 1800 miles home and it cost me 600 bucks for everything. And my truck got broken in. You're looking at least 2k to ship it 3rd party and that's IF you find someone willing to accept it. And you have to worry about it getting damaged.

Save the time and hassle and go get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Option #1 no doubt. Splurge on the first class ticket, get as many "complimentary" drinks as humanely possible, crash at an airport hotel for the night, go to the dealer to write the check, and hit every decent truck stop for food on the way back.

I'm in CA and was inquiring and prepared to fly out to dealers in Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico for a reasonable deal until a special order fell through locally at MSRP.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so u are open to all ideals?.......

fly me out and pay the gas, i will drive it to your driveway. then fly me home lol. couple of questions though.
are paved roads optional?
does it have to be clean when it gets to the driveway?
don't worry i will treat it like my own. and worse case i got 300k insurance. lol

chi_weezy

Reaction score
OP, I've shipped cars multiple times. Never had an issue. You can get an open carrier from anywhere from $650 on the low end (which might take longer for someone to pick it up) to around $1,200. If you go enclosed, it can be a few hundred more. Ford delivery the trucks open carriers so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Also since the truck is extea wide, I'd almost prefer it to be open vs squeezing it in a tighter space. I had my GTR shipped in an enclosed and it was still a bit dirty. When they say enclosed, it's usually not FULLY enclosed, air tight, etc.

I ordered my 17' from TN and am in CA. So when it gets in I'll figure out shipping. AZholley had a good suggestion. I've never heard of the courtesy ship method but I am going to inquire about that.