Advice on Raptor Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schw8901

Reaction score
Hey guys im new here so if i dont sound like i know what im talking about its probably cause i dont but im looking to buy a raptor and was hoping i could get a little advice here. i found a used one at the local dealer and took it for a test drive last night and talked some numbers with them. first off, i loved the truck, i know i want one for sure but need to find the right deal for me, which is most likely used. second, this is my first time buying a truck (currently own a 2000 ranger i bought from a family member) so this whole process with the dealer is new to me, and plenty intimidating. so the one i drove has ~45,000 miles on it already and the guy wanted $39,500 for it! does that seem unreasonably high for a truck that is barely a year old and has that many miles on it??? also, its the 5.4, if it was the 6.2 maybe that would be a little closer but i have no idea what these things are going for right now used. it did seem to have a lot of the options and that stupid graphics package but its black on black so its not too bad. Anyway, any advice you guys could give me on what a fair price for this truck would be or what i should be looking for in a used raptor would be great! just trying to get as much info as i can before i make a purchase. hope to be rallying around in this truck soon! thanks a lot!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Hey guys im new here so if i dont sound like i know what im talking about its probably cause i dont but im looking to buy a raptor and was hoping i could get a little advice here. i found a used one at the local dealer and took it for a test drive last night and talked some numbers with them. first off, i loved the truck, i know i want one for sure but need to find the right deal for me, which is most likely used. second, this is my first time buying a truck (currently own a 2000 ranger i bought from a family member) so this whole process with the dealer is new to me, and plenty intimidating. so the one i drove has ~45,000 miles on it already and the guy wanted $39,500 for it! does that seem unreasonably high for a truck that is barely a year old and has that many miles on it??? also, its the 5.4, if it was the 6.2 maybe that would be a little closer but i have no idea what these things are going for right now used. it did seem to have a lot of the options and that stupid graphics package but its black on black so its not too bad. Anyway, any advice you guys could give me on what a fair price for this truck would be or what i should be looking for in a used raptor would be great! just trying to get as much info as i can before i make a purchase. hope to be rallying around in this truck soon! thanks a lot!

First of all welcome. Secondly, yes that truck is grossly overpriced in my opinion. There's deals floating around on new trucks for $3000 off MSRP which would put a nicely equipped 2010 5.4 at 41k-42k brand new....so 39,500 is ridiculous. According to New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com the value of that truck with 45k miles is closer to 31-32k. I suggest visiting edmunds and punching in all the specifics and seeing what they say. Dealers tend to jack the price up on the Raptors because some people will pay big bucks, but you're now smarter than that! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are going to get that knida of price from a dealer... There is a member here Hman that bought his 5.4 loaded for 36k and it had im thinking 5400 miles so for that price I would get a new one... Also, ya got to check if it has been run hard off road...

OP
OP
S

schw8901

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for! ok so it turns out i was probably right in thinking that this thing was grossly overpriced. Damn, i would be all over a deal like you said Hman got! thats exactly the kind of deal im looking for! used, low miles, fair price. is that too much to ask anymore? haha.

Birdman, thats exactly what i was thinking. i mean damn, couple thousand off the price of a brand new one and this thing has 45,000 miles!! jeez i guess this is how the stealership gets their reputation. to be honest, i feel pretty insulted with the offer they made me. the guy i was originally dealing with is the head of the sales dept and he had originally told me it was $37995 which i felt was still too high but a decent place to start negotitating i guess. this other guy just full on killed a potential deal by going even higher than that and not really even budging much from there. at that price your right, why not just buy a new one?

Is there anything specific i should be looking at to determine if the truck has been driven hard off road? i find it hard to believe someone bought a new raptor here in CO, put 45,000 miles on it and didnt romp around in the desert or at least on some rougher trails every now an then

Thanks again for the replies, they are very helpful for me!!! any other ideas/advice you guys can think of is much appreciated

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Anyone that pays 3K under invoice needs to do there homework, I personally know 2 people that got 5K under and 1 that got 7K under msrp. Then I read different forums where a few that have ordered at invoice, but most are getting 500 over.

If you do your homework and be patient you can save a lot of $ that can go into mods

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for mud, big dents underneath, chips and the shock covers seem to take a beating when its run offroad in rocky terrain...

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

First off WELCOME!!

This 2011 is available,
thanks randy
406 544-6891

2011 F-150 - VIN 1FTEX1R60BFA26502
Full History
Status
Primary Secondary Vehicle Location Status Date / Time ETA

In Order Processing Scheduled to Week (Week -of Dec-13-2010) Ford Dearborn Assembly, MI Status as of Nov-30-2010

In Order Processing Unscheduled- Clean Sep-07-2010
=============================

Randy Wilson
Ford Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr.
406 544-6891 cell anytime

===========================
2011 F-150 Super Cab Raptor
Order No: W003 Priority: 12
Ord PEP: 517A Cust/Flt Name:
RETAIL DLR INV
X1R F150 RAPTOR S/C $41550
.133" WHEELBASE
UH TUXEDO BLACK
7 RAPTOR
B BLACK INTERIOR

517A PREF EQUIP PKG
.XLT SERIES
.SVT RAPTOR
64S .17" ALUM
996 6.2L EFI 2V V8
446 ELEC 6-SPD AUTO

T7R .LT315 BSW A/T
.4.10 ELEC LOCK
SLCT SHFT TRANS
STD FUEL TANK
7000# GVWR
425 50 STATE EMISS NC
55L LUXURY PACKAGE 2190
.ADJUST PEDALS
.BD CLR PWR MIRR
.SONY 6-DISC
.REMOTE START
.PWR DRVR & PASS
.HEATED SEATS
AUTO TEMP CNTL
61R RAPTOR PLUS PK 595
.TRL BRAKE CONTR
.REARVIEW CAMERA
63T TAILGATE STEP 375
FUEL CHARGE
PRICED DORA NC
FDAF ASSESSMENT
DEST AND DELIV 975

TOTAL BASE AND OPTIONS 45685
TOTAL MSRP $45685.00 -$3000 OFF = $42685.00
(your cost, + $179.00 d/h - rebates that are current at time of sale, if any?? none at this time)
(you pay tax/title/plate/reg for where ever you want to Reg truck)
*THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE*

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome SCHW8901!!!
You've come to the right place, we wanna help you find a good deal.

Let's start by looking at what Randy (HARLEY6LF250SDU) just offered you....

The truck he's describing is a NEW 2011 well-equipped black Raptor WITH a 6.2 for $42K-ish...
The truck your dealer is trying to sell you is a model year older, has 45K on the ticker, has a smaller engine, and is used for $39K-ish.

That's an absolute no-brainer.
The difference in price is roughly $3K..... for a truck that's new and better in several ways. Randy's offer makes it clear that your dealer's offer is a bad deal.

The difference in down-the-road resale value ought to cover that $3K difference easily. The 6.2 alone is a $3K upgrade, plus the fact that that used one has ~45,000 miles and is only a year old means that it was used a ton in that one year. The average American driver drives around 12,000-15,000 miles a year..... so for a one-year old truck to have 45,000 it means it has been USED with a capital U over the course of the last year.

Also for the record, Randy has sold and is in the process of selling several Raptors to forum members here. He works for Ford, so he orders your truck just the way you want it, doesn't hassle you with a bunch of ******** like many dealerships do, then he keeps you informed of your order here on the forum and then delivers the truck right to you.
He is exactly the type of person you should be bringing your pricing questions to. Ask the other guys on the board here who have been working with him. They seem to have nothing but glowing reviews for the deals and service they're receiving.

Do your homework, bring your questions here, and we'll do what we can to help. Don't let 1 bad dealer convince you that a good deal isn't out there for you.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome SCHW8901!!!
You've come to the right place, we wanna help you find a good deal.

Let's start by looking at what Randy (HARLEY6LF250SDU) just offered you....

The truck he's describing is a NEW 2011 well-equipped black Raptor WITH a 6.2 for $42K-ish...
The truck your dealer is trying to sell you is a model year older, has 45K on the ticker, has a smaller engine, and is used for $39K-ish.

That's an absolute no-brainer.
The difference in price is roughly $3K..... for a truck that's new and better in several ways. Randy's offer makes it clear that your dealer's offer is a bad deal.

The difference in down-the-road resale value ought to cover that $3K difference easily. The 6.2 alone is a $3K upgrade, plus the fact that that used one has ~45,000 miles and is only a year old means that it was used a ton in that one year. The average American driver drives around 12,000-15,000 miles a year..... so for a one-year old truck to have 45,000 it means it has been USED with a capital U over the course of the last year.

Also for the record, Randy has sold and is in the process of selling several Raptors to forum members here. He works for Ford, so he orders your truck just the way you want it, doesn't hassle you with a bunch of ******** like many dealerships do, then he keeps you informed of your order here on the forum and then delivers the truck right to you.
He is exactly the type of person you should be bringing your pricing questions to. Ask the other guys on the board here who have been working with him. They seem to have nothing but glowing reviews for the deals and service they're receiving.

Do your homework, bring your questions here, and we'll do what we can to help. Don't let 1 bad dealer convince you that a good deal isn't out there for you.

# cheers for Andy!!! Hes Grrrrrrrrrreat!!!!

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a member on the z forumn looking to sell his 2010 6.2L with 6500 miles with asking price of 36k - much more reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator: