Advice on My Planned Offroad Mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schrockdb

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you can see from my profile, my purchased new '17 Raptor has been off the pavement. But I am now doing some proper off road mods and would welcome your advice. I'm in NYC area (btw when driving the Raptor through midtown Manhattan you are an apex predator!). Off Roading in the mid-Atlantics includes areas of mud / empty roads where self-recovery is important to me. Will also plan on attending Savage Offroad at Rausch Creek this year. Here's what I'm thinking:

Engine:
> Cobb - Stage 2 Tune (Intercooler, CAI, ECM, TCM)
> Mishimoto - catch can

Suspension:
> SVC Offroad - Stage 1 alignment kit (Bump Stop, C.A.S., Deaver Springs). Considering a 1" raise in rear, but have garage door height issues, so most likely will just level front with the CAS
> Offroad Alliance - Upper Control Arms
> Forged Offroad - Alignment and Reinforcement Kit (?) or just a simple LCA reinforcement (?)

Misc:
> Go Rhino - Sport Rack 2.0 (looks cool, but I can't do top mount lights due to illegal in NY)
> WARN - Zeon 12s Platinum Winch (and front mount kit)
> specialtyperformanceparts - Rigid Pro series lights up front with rear chase lights
> CarID - Warrior Baja Spare Tire Carrier

Let me know what you think isn't needed and what you'd recommend. You guys know a lot more than me. Not unlimited money, but do want to be smart and do it right. Thanks!

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, congrats on a dirty raptor. Deaver springs is very smart, should of come on all Raptors, lol. Looks like a neat list.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
IMO, for mud you’re going to need better tires far, far more than you need any suspension mods. The BFG KM3’s are highly regarded and what I’d do if I was still on the (L)east coast. I still might outfit my spare wheels with the KM3’s.

Ask yourself what the suspension mods will do for you.

Good idea on the spare tire carrier, heck you can even add D rings to the bed bolts and use ratchet straps on the cheap. Lights won’t hurt for sure and Rigid have a solid rep.

For engine: Intercooler first, done right it hurts nothing, helps keep heat soak under control. Tune at your discretion, keeping in mind the transmission is only rated to about 590 foot pounds of torque and you’re already at 510. Leaf springs are going to definitely hold you back with any added power.

I run the Krazy House Torque arm and really like it, but traction bars would do the same thing. check them out first before going nuts on swapping hard parts.

OP
OP
schrockdb

schrockdb

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great advice on the tires and other items, I'll look further into those areas. I should have clarified, I'm not looking to just run around in mud pits, but also to do some of the Raptor Run type events in PA which do have the higher speed dirt, small jumps, etc. Certainly not like out West though which I agree is overall better for these trucks.

I've thought about the Mishimoto snorkel, but that might be too much and I wasn't sure if anyone had personal experience on it. I don't intend to be posting about hydro lock in 12 months. So am going into it with simply keeping an eye on things and maybe some hydrostatic covers on the air intake when I think things might get wet. But again, the advice of experts trumps the little that I know. Thanks,

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d do engine mods very last. The engine is perfect for off-roading already - as far as power is concerned.

Id prioritize tires (BFG’s, Coopers, or General Grabbers) then springs and any other suspension items. Live with that a bit before you add anything else.

OP
OP
schrockdb

schrockdb

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I agree more power isn’t needed for off-roading. I understand the front winch doesn’t work with the standard intercooler, so in the process of replacing it, I see the Cobb adds a CAI and tune as a package deal and I thought would be just kind of a bonus for the 98% of time I’m on the road w it as a daily driver. Truck has 40,000 miles on it and 10,000 with new set of stock tires. Probably should have checked here first, but I’ll swap out to a different tire next time.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I agree more power isn’t needed for off-roading. I understand the front winch doesn’t work with the standard intercooler, so in the process of replacing it, I see the Cobb adds a CAI and tune as a package deal and I thought would be just kind of a bonus for the 98% of time I’m on the road w it as a daily driver. Truck has 40,000 miles on it and 10,000 with new set of stock tires. Probably should have checked here first, but I’ll swap out to a different tire next time.

Just another opinion on the winch: they're heavy; they're very expensive; you have to get a new bumper or modify yours along with intercooler displacement;

If you're solo, they require trees or giant boulders to winch to use. Try starting with a set of recovery boards (Maxxtraxx) for $400 that can be used when running solo. The winch thing is usually more necessary for the rock-crawling jeeps.

hilltides

Reaction score
As you can see from my profile, my purchased new '17 Raptor has been off the pavement. But I am now doing some proper off road mods and would welcome your advice. I'm in NYC area (btw when driving the Raptor through midtown Manhattan you are an apex predator!). Off Roading in the mid-Atlantics includes areas of mud / empty roads where self-recovery is important to me. Will also plan on attending Savage Offroad at Rausch Creek this year. Here's what I'm thinking:

Engine:
> Cobb - Stage 2 Tune (Intercooler, CAI, ECM, TCM)
> Mishimoto - catch can

Suspension:
> SVC Offroad - Stage 1 alignment kit (Bump Stop, C.A.S., Deaver Springs). Considering a 1" raise in rear, but have garage door height issues, so most likely will just level front with the CAS
> Offroad Alliance - Upper Control Arms
> Forged Offroad - Alignment and Reinforcement Kit (?) or just a simple LCA reinforcement (?)

Misc:
> Go Rhino - Sport Rack 2.0 (looks cool, but I can't do top mount lights due to illegal in NY)
> WARN - Zeon 12s Platinum Winch (and front mount kit)
> specialtyperformanceparts - Rigid Pro series lights up front with rear chase lights
> CarID - Warrior Baja Spare Tire Carrier

Let me know what you think isn't needed and what you'd recommend. You guys know a lot more than me. Not unlimited money, but do want to be smart and do it right. Thanks!
Did you ever choose a winch or intercooler? I’m seeking both and not sure what intercooler is needed to accommodate a winch.