Advice needed - What to buy 2014 vs 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSP

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Need help deciding!

I’m looking to buy a truck to play with. I found a few nice 2014 crew cabs all under 15k miles and in like new condition for $40k’ish. That would leave me $35k in upgrades vs buying a stock new Raptor.

Is the Gen2 that much better than a Supercharged, suspension modded Gen1?

I like the looks of both. It would be used around Phoenix and trails in AZ.

Any insight is appreciated!

Thank you,

Cory

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Too many variables.

There’s no doubt the ’17-’19 are improvements over the previous years, the question is - for you, are the improvements worth it.

How do you intend to use the truck?

Are you paying outright or financing.

Are you going to off road it like you stole it, commuter, somewhere in between?

you need to honestly answer the above and more questions to come to an accurate conclusion.
Are you really budgeting 30k + for mods? OR, is it that you’ll buy it and either save on payments with a used truck, rather than pay the extra $$$ for new?

I’ve got a ’17, and have no regrets. Were I to be looking for a dedicated off roader I wasn’t afraid to screw up I’d probably not spend as much as a G1 Raptor cost and get an F150 and work on the thing to get it where I wanted.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 1 will hold its value more. If that's all you paying for a gen 1, you should buy it now, as dealer in california are selling those trucks for 45-50k with miles under 50k.

Gen 2 is 20% better to drive and has more gizmos, but honestly upgrade the shocks and put a supercharger on the gen1, and you'll probably be way more happy.

OP
OP
CSP

CSP

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I think I’m leaning towards a Gen1. A tricked out V8 will have a higher “fun factor” than the V6. The Gen2 is so pretty though!

Too many variables.

There’s no doubt the ’17-’19 are improvements over the previous years, the question is - for you, are the improvements worth it.

How do you intend to use the truck? General driving around town, and weekend bombing on trails in Arizona. Not abusing it, just spririted driving.

Are you paying outright or financing. Paying outright.

Are you going to off road it like you stole it, commuter, somewhere in between? 30% weekend trails, 60% pavement princess.

you need to honestly answer the above and more questions to come to an accurate conclusion.
Are you really budgeting 30k + for mods? OR, is it that you’ll buy it and either save on payments with a used truck, rather than pay the extra $$$ for new? I figure it would take an additional $30k to get a Gen2, so I’d be willing to spend $30k+/- on mods.

I’ve got a ’17, and have no regrets. Were I to be looking for a dedicated off roader I wasn’t afraid to screw up I’d probably not spend as much as a G1 Raptor cost and get an F150 and work on the thing to get it where I wanted. I have a 2017 F250 for daily duty’s, a 2017 ZL1 for street speed, looking for something to get rowdy in the dirt with.

Thank you for taking the time!

Cory

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you finding Gen 1s with that low of mileage? Send me the list! Any white SuperCabs?