Advice/guidance for 2017 shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickW

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how how many threads I've read on here about shock replacement. Maybe 40-50. Only one of them was similar to how I view my situation (this thread), so I'm hoping that yet another shock replacement thread where I can ask specifics may result in good information for me.

I have a 2017 with 65k miles. Eibach springs up front and everything else is factory. Shocks seem to be toast IMO. I'm not sure what the best route is to correct this issue and I'm looking for help. Thanks in advance. Below I've listed my options and the concerns I have. I'd love to just buy new shocks and bolt them up, but 7k for just shocks on a daily driver seems crazy to me, for my situation. I currently drive 95% on road. I recently moved to the mountains of Colorado so that could change, but not likely as this is my daily driver. Also, I see deavers in my future, but one thing at a time.

1. Rebuild factory shocks - Probably the cheapest option, but not cheap. Truck would be down for a bit while I ship mine off and wait for them to be rebuilt and sent back. I don't want to do the exchange program and get worse condition shocks, so I'll just have to deal with the truck being down. My concern here is the many stories of people having leaking rebuilt shocks in less than 10k miles, among other horror stories from certain companies. Considering Shocks by Hammer or Texas Shock Works for a rebuild.

2. I found some Gen 3 take-offs with little/no miles - They want 2k for the shocks. Fronts still have springs on them. I'd have to do the RPG live valve delete kit, which is something I have zero experience with, then figure out how to get the nitrogen charged on them. Seems like a lot of hassle and again, not exactly cheap.

3. Buy new shocks - Unless I'm missing something, I don't see new shocks for this truck for less than $6500+ for a full set. That's not an option for me. Do a lot people who mostly daily drive these trucks really spend $6500 - $9000 on shocks? I'm not looking for an upgrade, just something comparable to factory shocks.

Am I missing something? Thanks again.

Edit: Is there an option to purchase new shocks that are comparable to the factory shocks that are less than $3k?

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Gen 2 live valve take offs with SDI Click is your best option.

Can rebuild factory, but there are better options. The $6-9k are for Fox or King bypass shocks that sounds would be over kill for you.

This thread is the same as ones before it.

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
Gen 2 live valve take offs with SDI Click is your best option.

Can rebuild factory, but there are better options. The $6-9k are for Fox or King bypass shocks that sounds would be over kill for you.

This thread is the same as ones before it.

New/low milage Gen 2 live valve take offs would likely be quite hard to find. Which means buying used Gen 2 live valves, then rebuilding and hoping the rebuild doesn't leak. SDI click is an additional $2100 plus the purchase of the shocks and the rebuild cost. I can get some Gen 3 take-offs (I read that these fit Gen 2's?), someone has some new Gen 3 take-offs a few hours from me for $2k, but then I have to spend $2100 for the e-click. So over 4k for shocks. Seems expensive and laborious just to replace shocks on a daily driven truck.

Call TSW, buy their rebuilds. Have them installed, ship your toast ones to them to recover core charge. Simple.

1. Rebuild factory shocks - Probably the cheapest option, but not cheap. Truck would be down for a bit while I ship mine off and wait for them to be rebuilt and sent back. I don't want to do the exchange program and get worse condition shocks, so I'll just have to deal with the truck being down. My concern here is the many stories of people having leaking rebuilt shocks in less than 10k miles, among other horror stories from certain companies. Considering Shocks by Hammer or Texas Shock Works for a rebuild.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
Not sure where 6-9k comes from. Even the dealer doesn't charge that much. You can get brand new shocks from Rock Auto. Rears are $400 each and front are $370 each. I ordered rears from RA a few weeks ago. Showed up in 2 days.

Front

Rear

Jeez, thank you very much. This is probably exactly what I need. Apparently I don't know how to use rock auto or the internet. I checked there, but only saw the ones for other models and missed the ones that were for a raptor. I should've searched with a part number.

Also, the 6-9k price are the Kings and Fox shocks that I see on RPG, SVC, etc. Which is not what I need to drive to the mall.

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RockAuto do you happen to have the Part #'s for the 2019 and up Live Valve Shocks. Having a hard time deciphering the site layout. Looking to do these and the sdi eclick system once i get it all together.