Advice and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swanny

Reaction score
I have two issues with my truck. First, getting the damned thing aligned. It has aftermarket wheels, so dealership said they couldn't do shit. I bought the cams for it and took it to the alignment shop for them to do it. However, he measured out the frame and the truck is actually lower on the left side. I of course didn't notice it til he pointed it out, but it damn sure is. He said he could level and align it, but that Ford should do the leveling and I shouldn't align it til after that.

Second thing is, the damn tailgate lock broke. Since tailgates seem to be a hot commodity around here, I kept mine locked all the time. Went to unlock it and the damn thing was jammed. I of course being stubborn, almost broke the key off twisting it, but it unlocked. But the tailgate latch now no longer works.

My questions: What would they have to replace to fix the latch? I see no bolts and it has a bedliner. What could possibly have the left side of the truck lower? The mechanic said that it was probably the leaf springs or the shock needing adjustment. Tires were all equal pressure and I had about a quarter tank. Alternatively, should I worry about it too much before getting it aligned? It's not out by alot, but it's out by enough that I notice it, which is enough in my mind. How should I approach the dealership? The one I took it to ask about aligning, that took 5 hours to tell me they couldn't do anything with it, will not be seeing the truck again. I didn't buy the truck from a dealership in the area. Anyone in the Houston Area got a recommendation?

My work changed up the firewall and blocked the site, so much for spending 8 hrs a day on the site.... :mad:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the tailgate; to repair the handle or lock cylinder assembly there is a access panel that must be removed. It spans the length of the tail gate, facing forward, held on by eight torx head bolts. If its a plastic drop in liner, the liner is held in place with some of the same bolts going through the panel, and is easy to remove. If its sprayed in, it sounds like the bolt heads were sprayed over, and someone will have to cut and dig the liner away; not as easy, to get the bolts out. As for what needs to be replaced is tough to say without knowing what exactly is broke, but it sounds like you may need a new lock cylinder and handle assembly.

My Raptor has always (and still) sags on the left. At first it interested me, but after seeing numerous Raptors with sag, mine doesn't concern me anymore. It probably is suspension related, but your alignment shop should have no problems aligning it.

OP
OP
Swanny

Swanny

Reaction score
Took it to the dealership today. Found out of course that the issue with the truck not being level, is just an issue with the special shocks that are on the truck. He said that it was a quarter inch off at the middle of the wheel well, even though it is a 1/2 to 3/4 at the frame. Then I found out that the reason the latch handle broke, was because of the line-x spray in bed liner, which came with the truck when I purchased it, used w/3000 miles. I called Line-X, which has a lifetime warranty on their product, and found out that it is a non-transferable warranty. Called the dealership that I bought it from and he said that whomever traded it in did that, not them.

I really am not trying to come off as whiney, but gdamn I didn't catch a break on that at all. If I would have bought through a local dealer, maybe I would have at least got hooked up on it....

Is replacing the handle hard to do?

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be able to but the whole tailgate assembly. Or replace it with an auto locking one since you have to replace anyways.. You can tie that auto lock into your key so that when you lock the doors the tailgate locks too...

Just a thought.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the handle can be replaced and its not super hard to do. I can try my best to walk you through it if you want. Did the line x place spray over your bolt heads?
This picture resembles the bolts I'm talking about, should be eight of them that hold the access panel on. Once you remove the access panel the handle can be replaced in a few minutes.
tailgate.jpg

OP
OP
Swanny

Swanny

Reaction score
Thanks for the auto locking thought. Might be something that I will do in the future!

I'm going to get the truck today and will talk with the service guy on the exact part that I need. I looked after I started the thread and saw a couple bolts that they didn't spray over, but without the truck in front of me, I can't say for sure if it was some or none. And yesterday he didn't get specific with me on the phone in regards to the part. I tried to call him back and left a message but it went un-returned.

Just seems to me that as much as I spent on the truck, they could find a way to justify replacing it under warranty, instead of justifying why they couldn't. That hasn't always been my service experience with Ford though, just here lately!

OP
OP
Swanny

Swanny

Reaction score
Apparently, when they put the Line-X on, they didn't cover anything and sprayed it with the access panel off. Dealership loaded me up with a parts list just in case Line-X wouldn't take care of it. Drove up to local Line-X dealer who didn't spray it, pulled it in for 10 minutes, fixed....

Figured I would keep ya updated. Still like the auto-lock tied in with the keyless entry idea. Will be looking at that in the near future...