Advanced Security Pack Inclination / Intrusion Sensor Removal (16P)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my questions is if this is chip related or parts related?

If chip related, why produce 100 trucks and have them on the lot sitting when sacrificing one truck will give enough chips to finish the other 99? Some of these Ford decisions don’t make sense.
these chips aren't plug and play, and they aren't really in fords control pe se, they are probably ordered and managed 2-3 layers away from fords own plant at a supplier of a supplier who builds them built into circuit boards designed to do one specific thing. Its not like they can take the chips from the interior intrusion sensor supplier and use that chip for the heated steering wheel supplier.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these chips aren't plug and play, and they aren't really in fords control pe se, they are probably ordered and managed 2-3 layers away from fords own plant at a supplier of a supplier who builds them built into circuit boards designed to do one specific thing. Its not like they can take the chips from the interior intrusion sensor supplier and use that chip for the heated steering wheel supplier.
I know that’s how it works, but what’s the chance that the steering wheel manufacturer can get zero chips and the audio manufacturer has no issues or visa versa. It seems like Ford has some control over it and are shifting it to the options they believe are least needed. Also, rather than say “50% of the trucks will have them”, we get zero trucks with them. It doesn’t make sense

NMFB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my window sticker this morning with a blend date of 11/01 and the advanced security was not removed. So those of you with a vin or scheduled build week already might be ok.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that’s how it works, but what’s the chance that the steering wheel manufacturer can get zero chips and the audio manufacturer has no issues or visa versa. It seems like Ford has some control over it and are shifting it to the options they believe are least needed. Also, rather than say “50% of the trucks will have them”, we get zero trucks with them. It doesn’t make sense
its probably not even the steering wheel manufacturer can get 0, its probably the steering wheel manufacturer's control board supplier can get 80% of what they need across all their product lines but as a maker of electric heat control chips they supply half the automotive OEMs, home space heaters, electric baseboard thermostats, [insert whatever else has an electric heating element] and that supplier makes the call as to what they are going to produce.

I do think all of these shortages are evidence of a mediocre/bad supply chain and sourcing team but Ford is not the only one in this boat, other OEMs are still yanking options here and there. I think automakers did the "right thing" for shareholders in good times and consolidated their supplier bases, using volume to bid down per unit costs. But also sacrificed some protection against bad times through this "streamlining." Which also means they are on the short end of the stick as the least profitable customers of their suppliers when faced with shortages.