Adjusting your front Fox shocks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Did you still have to use a spring compressor after you took the shock off, but it was just easier to use? What holds the shock inside the spring anyway and why do you need to compress it to get it off and back on i assume? Where did you get the spring compressor?

Yeah you still need a spring comressor, you just need to compress the spring enough to pull it away from the top shock mount and lower spring perch(you will need to go a little extra so the spring will fit back in once you raise the spring perch).

remove the bolt holding the top shock mount, slide the spring right off and put it aside and then move the spring perch up. I rented the spring compressors from Auto Zone for free...as long as you return them unharmed there's no charge to use their tools.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i am planning to do this modification on my raptor that i am hoping will be here soon. as far as alignment. is there enough adjustment to bring it back into specs. or will there need to be additional shims and or offset bushings. i am planning on going to the top perch. sorry just found a answer to my question in another part of this site. just had to do some looking around. new to this

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am planning to do this modification on my raptor that i am hoping will be here soon. as far as alignment. is there enough adjustment to bring it back into specs. or will there need to be additional shims and or offset bushings. i am planning on going to the top perch. sorry just found a answer to my question in another part of this site. just had to do some looking around. new to this

You can get the alignment fairly close to specs on the third perch. There is plenty of toe adjustment but camber and caster are limited. By giving up positive caster you can correct the negative camber (that will occur from the perch lift) by moving the lower control arms in. There is a camber/caster kit you can buy from Ford, or SDHQ sells the specialty products brand kit (good kit, I have it on mine) that will assist in moving/adjusting the control arms. I would suggest buying the kit. The other thing you can do is buy after market, longer, upper front control arms which imo, is the ideal way to get camber AND caster back to normal after the perch move.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks so much for the info. i will purchase the kit from sdhq. i want to do this the right way. dont want any weird tire wear. now to just get the truck. hopefully soon. seems it takes 3 months unless you buy it off the lot. so i should have about a month and a half left. trying to get my parts together. thanks again.

trentw12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't think any of the dealers near me would know what the hell they are looking at!!! that has a lot to do with why i went 250 miles to buy one! i was about to order one from Randy. my hometown dealer fixed a horn on a car under warranty by unplugging it! i work for Autozone on the weekends and found it installing a new battery. i told the owner that some vehicles do crazy things with low batteries nowadays. plug in the horn it blew constantly with old battery. installed new battery and it stopped and worked properly! this dealer will never touch my RAPTOR!