Additional rust proofing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably more of a question for folks that deal with snow and Ice a lot. My truck will be here by next week and I'm tempted to get its undercarriage sprayed with some additional rust proofing ($350 at a local accessories shop). Has anyone done this? I've heard you have to be specific for the installer to remove certain components (ie the skid plate) otherwise they'll spray everything and bolts are hard to remove if they've been sprayed. Has anyone else heard or know anything about this subject??

No this isn't that Seinfeld skit. Considering the amount of salt on the ground and in the air (I'm on an island in the Bering Sea), for just a couple hundred dollars, this seems like a good investment.

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was up at Fort Drum for a period of time. My GEN1 took a beating from all the salt. I just cleaned it very often and dried it as well as I could. I would not so much be concerned with the underbody of the GEN2 as much as the frame itself. I'd recommend coating all the welds in the frame with POR-15 while its new. Once I get mine I plan on taking a good look underneath to see where moisture might sit and figure out what I want to do with it. Remember aluminum will only oxidize not rust. I'm not a fan of getting everything sprayed for no reason. Another note, the shocks will take a beating where you are and you might consider coating them with some wax or just paying extra attention to them cleaning wise. More to follow.

OP
OP
Oceanbnd

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a snag with keeping a car clean on this island. There's only one car wash on island which has both a touchless indoor and an outdoor hose option. Naturally the touchless isn't going to work as the Raptor is too wide, but the outdoor part is a no-go as it gets shut off during the winter. It's too cold to use your own hose for fear of breaking ones pipes.

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then oil the helk out of that underbody and wax up those shocks really good before they get salt covered ... good luck. Too bad the military does not offer something to make up for vehicle depreciation based on duty location lol. I went from sunny Savannah GA to Upstate NY ... wah wah

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I coat all my vehicles underneat with a rubberized protectant. Stays on and doesnt make a mess like those "rust proof" sprays dealerships use.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use this stuff, dunno if it's available in the US though. I spray my frame, leafs, etc. with it.

mage=image_na_EN&id=EWRqZ2&wid=221&hei=604&fmt=jpg.jpg

GaryBacon

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm a new member but have pulled a lot of info off this forum for years.
Maybe time to pay it forward.

I live in Southern Ontario and oil undercoat my truck at brand new and then every fall. Lots of salt.
My buddy owns a shop and he has two kinds of oil. One that drips and one that doesn't. When my 14 Screw was brand new we hit it hard with the 'one that drips' as it creeps in everywhere and also with some of the 'dripless' for longevity.

Before I brought her down to the dealership to make a deal for a 17 this September, I had the undercarriage steam cleaned.
The guy who did it for me has a paint shop and usually does classic cars.
He had a galvanized hoist set up out back and it took him about 4 hours with me helping.
It took off all the old oil coating and probably about 200 lbs of mud that was stuck everywhere. Cost me $400.

I was extremely happy with how well the oil had protected the truck from rust. Virtually none.
I then undercoated it again and it looked like brand new.
That's my new system.

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use this stuff, dunno if it's available in the US though. I spray my frame, leafs, etc. with it.

mage=image_na_EN&id=EWRqZ2&wid=221&hei=604&fmt=jpg.jpg

How many cans would it take to do a raptor? and u just spray it on? Whats the cost? I live in Montreal where Do they sell this Canadian tire?? Home depot?

Honestly i hate spraying oil
Super messy and after a few years you are carrying an extra hundred pounds of crap on the undercarriage , i think i prefer a little rust to 100 lbs of crap and oil on my rocker panels.