Additional info on running 37's and stock fenders.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? How is it working out? Also are you on mid perch with stock suspension?

I've been running the Toyo 37's on stock fenders for about two weeks now without issue. I've not had the chance to jump it, but it has been stuffed and nothing seems to rub. I managed to keep the liners in and keep them sort of okay looking. You pretty much have to stick your head into the wheel well to really see the modifications.
I didn't take pics of the whole process, but these pics should show the general idea. I started by hammering the pinch welded seems on the cab. The next step was pulling out the liners and removing the flares. I did all of the trimming with a small hand saw and a pneumatic cut off wheel.

Stock, w/o flare. Not my truck...

View attachment 67791

Fender trimmed up, liners slotted and zip tied to lip of fender.
View attachment 67792
View attachment 67793
Flare trimmed, it's lip is about 1/2" wide now and allows the tire to tuck inside. View attachment 67794
View attachment 67795
View attachment 67796
View attachment 67797
From the outside, it's not readily apparent how much cutting has been done. This modification yields 3.5" of extra clearance for the tire. I'm using the 37/12.5 Toyo RT on 0 offset Methods. If I had the 37/13.5 Toyo MT, I think the flare would need to be trimmed to less than a 1/4" lip to have any chance of that tire clearing. View attachment 67798View attachment 67799
I like the look and proportions of the stock fenders, and I don't have to deal with fitment/quality/cost of fiberglass. I think this is a viable option for running 37's, as long as you don't mind cutting. My truck is a 2010 with 93k on it and has been beat on extensively, so it's a perfect candidate for this mod.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? How is it working out? Also are you on mid perch with stock suspension?

Mid perch, stock front shocks. It's working great, no problems whatsoever. It's been out in the desert a few times and the 37's really ride better than the 35's off road. The front has been stuffed, and no tire clearance problems.

svt_reid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid perch, stock front shocks. It's working great, no problems whatsoever. It's been out in the desert a few times and the 37's really ride better than the 35's off road. The front has been stuffed, and no tire clearance problems.

Awesome this is exactly what I'm gonna do when the grabbers wear out. Did you have to do anything to the rear?

jakehobbs

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to @Bigg50 for starting the thread, and @Conejoracer for his contribution with additional photos.

After a fair bit of research here I was able to determine that I could run 37's on mid perch and stock fenders with a little bit of massaging. Some even claimed that just street driving you didnt need to to anything! The one thing I found out, is that each situation is different. Even if you are comparing same wheel/tire setups on different trucks. But in the end im pretty pumped I went 37's.

Decided on some Toyo RT's in 37 12.50 17. I got the tires mounted before any modding, and right out of the gates I new there was some major trimming to be done, namely the rear part of the flare where it meets the body/pinch weld. I drove straight to my buddies shop and proceeded to trim the fenders, flares, hammer pinch welds, and trim as much off the back corner of the fender as possible.

I left and they could clear, but I was still hitting the tire to the body when going in an out of driveways. So I went back and hammered some more on that rear corner. Now im not rubbing on anything, but its still a little close for comfort come desert time. I got it realigned as well but I might need to go back and have them adjust the rear control arms to move the wheels forward a bit.

In the end I LOVE the look, just want to make sure the function is still there.

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 383
  • image6-1.jpg
    image6-1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 380
  • image2-1.jpg
    image2-1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 342
  • image3-1.jpg
    image3-1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 367
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

no1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, thanks to @Bigg50 for starting the thread, and @cojoneracer for his contribution with additional photos.

lol i like what you did there. Did you notes? You made him almost ballsracer instead of rabbitracer :ROFLJest:

Great job man, looks like you really went for it! Truck looks good with those tires.