Adding front camera, forcing rear camera display: any way to pull this off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjjaymmman

Reaction score
Front and rear camera setup in forward gear.jpg Here is a simple diagram for the basic dual camera system that you can use in any gear position to include park. Yes you can do this with or without AllSync. If you do install a front camera make sure it supports normal view or it will be reversed in your display (left will be right, right will be left).

I'm an aircraft avionic system technician with 15 years or experience. I have been installing A/V systems for even longer.

Last edited:

BigCountry

Reaction score
Front Camera

So is it possible, to activate the factory installed front camera by using on one of the switches instead of navigating through menu options and 4x4?

Jake Y.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info jjjaymmman, thank you! Do you have any experience using this method with factory installed nav? Im curious if power to the camera will "force" the display even with the stock nav/sync setup.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is it possible, to activate the factory installed front camera by using on one of the switches instead of navigating through menu options and 4x4?

there is a way to do it. it would require a relay, so it can be used normally but when you flip the switch it turns on instantly. you will need to find the wire that connects to the back of the radio that enables the front camera. depending on what type of signal the switch is (+ or -) if the switch is a (-) trigger then you need to connect power ( usually a true ignition source) to 86 on the relay and 85 to the switch you are going to use. if it is a (+) trigger then you need to connect ground to 86 and 85 goes to the switch. the rest will all be the same from here on out. take the line in to the radio and cut it leaving enough wire on both sides to solder/crimp a longer piece of wire so you can put the relay farther back in the dash. take the radio side of the wire ( the cut portion of the wire that is plugged in to the radio) and connect to 30 of the relay. take the car side of that cut wire and connect it to 87a of the relay and finally depending on the type of trigger the camera wire is connect that accordingly. ex. if the camera wire is (-) then connect 87 to ground. if the camera wire (+) then connect to ignition of the vehicle. also you need to check to see if the camera is always on or not. if it is not then you need to do the same thing as mentioned to the camera power wire so you can turn the camera on and then "trick" your radio into thinking you are in 4 low locked or whatever mode you need to be in to activate the camera. and yes it most likely can be done with oem nav but you might need a piece from navtv to make it work at higher speeds. usually oem navs cut any kind of video or nav options ( typing address) above 15 mph.
i am an installer let me know if you need more help

laxphatty

Reaction score
View attachment 1358 Here is a simple diagram for the basic dual camera system that you can use in any gear position to include park. Yes you can do this with or without AllSync. If you do install a front camera make sure it supports normal view or it will be reversed in your display (left will be right, right will be left).

I'm an aircraft avionic system technician with 15 years or experience. I have been installing A/V systems for even longer.

I know you posted this way long ago, but is there any way you could send ma a link to show me what exactly you are talking about with the "a/v switch 2-in-1-out" in that diagram? The closest thing I can find is on alibaba.com, and I know that's not right.

I'm assuming it's an automatic switch that just sends whatever signal it's getting to the display, where a DPDT on-off-on would power whichever camera you wanted to see (or neither)...

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a way to do it. it would require a relay, so it can be used normally but when you flip the switch it turns on instantly. you will need to find the wire that connects to the back of the radio that enables the front camera. depending on what type of signal the switch is (+ or -) if the switch is a (-) trigger then you need to connect power ( usually a true ignition source) to 86 on the relay and 85 to the switch you are going to use. if it is a (+) trigger then you need to connect ground to 86 and 85 goes to the switch. the rest will all be the same from here on out. take the line in to the radio and cut it leaving enough wire on both sides to solder/crimp a longer piece of wire so you can put the relay farther back in the dash. take the radio side of the wire ( the cut portion of the wire that is plugged in to the radio) and connect to 30 of the relay. take the car side of that cut wire and connect it to 87a of the relay and finally depending on the type of trigger the camera wire is connect that accordingly. ex. if the camera wire is (-) then connect 87 to ground. if the camera wire (+) then connect to ignition of the vehicle. also you need to check to see if the camera is always on or not. if it is not then you need to do the same thing as mentioned to the camera power wire so you can turn the camera on and then "trick" your radio into thinking you are in 4 low locked or whatever mode you need to be in to activate the camera. and yes it most likely can be done with oem nav but you might need a piece from navtv to make it work at higher speeds. usually oem navs cut any kind of video or nav options ( typing address) above 15 mph.
i am an installer let me know if you need more help

Hello NOSBUSA. Would this apply to a 2013 model? All I want is to be able to switch on the Front Camera when in tight spaces. Is this to be done by a dealer or not...Appreciate your feedback.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe they are talking about adding an aftermarket front camera to a raptor. This install would not work on the Ford factory front camera.

Hello NOSBUSA. Would this apply to a 2013 model? All I want is to be able to switch on the Front Camera when in tight spaces. Is this to be done by a dealer or not...Appreciate your feedback.