Adding Dashcam-Electrical Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, now you got me concerned. I did it that way in my last Raptor and had no issue in over a year. I usually use a fuse tap but didn’t have the right size.

That said, I did pick a fuse where it shuts down when I turn the car off. Is it still a poor way of doing it? I will redo it. Ty.
is a fuse tap as linked above ok? I’d use the upfitter but don’t know how to get the wire through to engine bay.
my guess is you will probably be ok, however a better connection is definitely required. the dash cams usually have a 2-3 amp fuse inline so the current draw isnt that much. but power anything more than a couple amps can cause problems. when i power thing in my truck i look for the thicker gauge wires as they will handle the current draw much better. keep in mind the 10amp fuse (or whatever the amperage is) has a small wire behind it and is ony technically rated for the current draw of the fuse. the smaller the wire the less load it can handle. and with the gen 2 and 3s being more electronically fragile, you should be carefull on which wire you are using to connect your aftermarket equipment

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts