Adding Dashcam-Electrical Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hpschrank

Reaction score
I'm adding a Blackvue Dashcam and I need an ACC electrical connection and non ACC electrical connection. I t comes with 2 "piggy back" fuse connectors. Can someone recommend which fuses are best to connect into for the acc connection and the non acc connection? Preferably from the fuse box in the truck (vs under the hood). Or can you suggest a better way to connect the Cam?-Thanks!

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve installed the BlackVue in 4 Raptors. Not sure what ACC is. If it’s the battery pack so it works when parked. Sorry can’t help. Never had that. Just did install on my Gen3. I have the simple hardwire kit, has inline fuse. I run wire across headliner, down A pillar, to fuse box in passenger footwell. Topmost red fuse I remove, wrap wire around the exposed metal tab, shove it back in, and then it’s not ez to get to ground but it’s to the right of fuse box.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve installed the BlackVue in 4 Raptors. Not sure what ACC is. If it’s the battery pack so it works when parked. Sorry can’t help. Never had that. Just did install on my Gen3. I have the simple hardwire kit, has inline fuse. I run wire across headliner, down A pillar, to fuse box in passenger footwell. Topmost red fuse I remove, wrap wire around the exposed metal tab, shove it back in, and then it’s not ez to get to ground but it’s to the right of fuse box.
Wrapping the fuse terminal with the wire is a poor connection (high resistance), which generates heat. That can cause the fuse and/or junction box to overheat and melt, which can result in a fire.

The best method to power any aftermarket electrical device is the upfitter switches. The upfitter relays are powered by the accessory delay relay, so the switches will power off when the ignition is turned off.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wrapping the fuse terminal with the wire is a poor connection (high resistance), which generates heat. That can cause the fuse and/or junction box to overheat and melt, which can result in a fire.

The best method to power any aftermarket electrical device is the upfitter switches. The upfitter relays are powered by the accessory delay relay, so the switches will power off when the ignition is turned off.
Ok, now you got me concerned. I did it that way in my last Raptor and had no issue in over a year. I usually use a fuse tap but didn’t have the right size.

That said, I did pick a fuse where it shuts down when I turn the car off. Is it still a poor way of doing it? I will redo it. Ty.
is a fuse tap as linked above ok? I’d use the upfitter but don’t know how to get the wire through to engine bay.

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm adding a Blackvue Dashcam and I need an ACC electrical connection and non ACC electrical connection. I t comes with 2 "piggy back" fuse connectors. Can someone recommend which fuses are best to connect into for the acc connection and the non acc connection? Preferably from the fuse box in the truck (vs under the hood). Or can you suggest a better way to connect the Cam?-Thanks!
4C169330-BDC1-479E-9F05-60183ECB623F.jpegHere ya go. This is how I hooked up my Blackvue in my Gen3 months ago. No problem at all.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, now you got me concerned. I did it that way in my last Raptor and had no issue in over a year. I usually use a fuse tap but didn’t have the right size.

That said, I did pick a fuse where it shuts down when I turn the car off. Is it still a poor way of doing it? I will redo it. Ty.
is a fuse tap as linked above ok? I’d use the upfitter but don’t know how to get the wire through to engine bay.
That’s less dangerous, but still results in a poor connection/high resistance when the ignition is on. Fuse taps are better than wrapping a wire around a fuse terminal, but you’re still drawing additional amperage from a fuse terminal that wasn’t designed for it. So there’s always a risk of damage to the junction box. There are some how-to tutorials on here regarding use of the upfitter switches, I’d start there.