Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 1 Adding a sub?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]' started by Tyler Wolfenbarger, Nov 19, 2020.

1. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

do you have the oem floormat? i have the mold to build a single 10 in the oem location if you still have the original floormat. it requires you send me two of your sub brackets as they get fiberglassed into the new box. a behind the seat sub is not an option

2. Cody Templeton

Cody Templeton Full Access Member

I can't use the OEM relocation because my rifle case sits there, hence why I want to move it behind the rear seat. I know it's not the best option, but I'm sure I can setup something low profile and make it work.

3. The Car Stereo Company

most likely not. the way the rear seat pivots doesnt allow anything to fit behind there. we have tried.

4. Cody Templeton

So I've done a lot of reading around on this and doing some test fitting on things in my own truck. There's definitely very little room behind the rear seat, and I don't think the seats are going to still pivot correctly with anything close against them. It seems like your only option is under the rear seats. I would prefer to do something that doesn't eat up all the room under the seats and wouldn't mind something that just sits under the passenger side. Currently my rifle case seats under the seats, but I could potentially mount it to the back of the seats instead as I know there's plenty of room for it back there. I'm thinking of just going with the Kicker VSS setup as it has awesome reviews, and I want something that looks and fits like factory.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 1:23 PM
  5. Cody Templeton

Figured out a plan for everything I believe. I'll pull the rifle out of the case and mount it to the back of the driver side seat using some Quick Fist clamps and then the magazines will mount to the seat as well using some 45 pound pistol magnets. That will free up all my space under the rear seats, and use up the extra room behind the back seats. After doing some measuring and research there's just not gonna be a great viable option for a behind the seat sub. There's potentially some low profile woofers and boxes that can fit back there, but my worry is when folding the seat up the seat needs to pivot backwards some, creating even less space. Most likely I'll just order the Kicker VSS setup that goes where the stock sub did, that way I still will retain the space under the driver seat.

6. The Car Stereo Company

thats what i have been trying to tell you all along. we can custom build a box that fits most peoples needs. just have to figure out the size and shape of the box

7. Cody Templeton

Sometimes you just gotta try for yourself! There's definitely the ability to put something pretty low profile back there, but it's definitely gonna sacrifice sound quality.

8. Cody Templeton

Been doing some more reading on this. I ended up mounting my rifle to the bottom of the driver's rear seat, so at least that way I have a little room under the seat, plus if I flip the seat bottom up I still have the full flat floor. I've been doing some measuring behind the rear seats and under the passenger flip up seat. It seems like if you want to stay within the sizing of the OEM sub, you're limited to a shallow mount 12" (or smaller) sub, or you'll need to do the slim mount powered sub behind the back seats like an Infinity Basslink (or similar). My guess is that you'll need two of the slim mount powered subs since they're generally 8", plus most are 125w RMS, so they're not going to have a lot of output.

I'm thinking of going with either a 10" or 12" JL TW3 in their truck wedge box. The 10" looks like it's about the exact same dimensions as the factory sub enclosure, with the 12" only being very slightly larger. I could then mount the amplifier behind the passenger seat as there would be plenty of room for it. I'm more than sure this setup would give me plenty of bass. One big upside to doing this over the VSS is that it has remote bass control, whereas with the VSS you can only control the bass through the head unit with the factory EQ which isn't always optimal. Also, from what I've read the VSS setup is 200w RMS, whereas both JL sizes are 400w RMS, so I'm assuming you'd get A LOT more bass out of the JL setup. There's a deal I just found that's incredibly tempting - 12" TW3 with an NVX 320w (at 2 ohm) monoblock amplifier for 379 with free shipping. I'm just trying to find the JL box that matches it separately as the box has the perfect dimensions for under our back seat.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...TW3-D4-FREE-NVX-500W-Monoblock-Amplifier.html

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...voYUv1XfnWT_vjaXRY2r6oxUMleR61AxoCRuQQAvD_BwE

9. The Car Stereo Company

got your message.