Added a sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all of the speakers in my 12 with JL Audio and it was definitely a whole day project (and yes I had a door rattle after that I was chasing the whole summer of 12) but it was worth every penny sound-wise. Going to address my 17s speakers sometime this spring.

sellerc

Reaction score
Sub Power

Can you power the new sub using the existing Sony Sub wiring harness? Or do you have to tap directly into the power invertor? I would like to still be able to use the receptacles in my truck and would like to stay away from disabling those.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Can you power the new sub using the existing Sony Sub wiring harness? Or do you have to tap directly into the power invertor? I would like to still be able to use the receptacles in my truck and would like to stay away from disabling those.

it’s possible, but you’re only changing out a marginal subwoofer for a better subwoofer and you’re not sending anywhere near enough power to the new sub to exploit it. If you check the link in the original post, that’s how the mod started out, but users were less than satisfied with the results until an amp was added. you could still use some electrical outlets, it’s a 300w amp, and a 400w inverter and unless you’re at max volume, max gain on the amp, you should have plenty of room for at least one outlet in use, and if it’s only phone chargers, probably all of them.

BTW, this does not disable any of the plugs, we’re just tapping the 10 gauge power wire for the inverter.

sellerc

Reaction score
Power for sub amp

Do you have a picture of how you tied into the inverter power wire?

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
not handy, I think it’s called a pinch connector(?) ; You just need to tap the -very- obvious 10 gauge power wire to the inverter, at the inverter harness. Judiciously tape this tap and proximity to avoid a short.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how did you mount the Kenwood?

-dsc02159_e7fa22b71894f2795fd34c9235998678a2f8796e.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Do you have a picture of how you tied into the inverter power wire?

use a Posi-Tap :)

51u3HgAJ9aL._SX425_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64p6ndlTQ8

x2l2drm.png

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

fyi - this is a great site for knowing how to wire a SVC/DVC sub to MONO/DUAL amp setup

https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

this is how i'll setup my Pioneer DVC 2 Ohm to the Kenwood Mono Amp 4 Ohm

1DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I mounted the Kenwood using the existing amp bracket hole up top, on the bottom I drilled a hole and put a piece of sheet aluminum behind it. Marked and drilled. I put some washers in between the kenwood and factory amp bracket to keep things as even as practical. Once all the points are secured the amp is very solidly mounted.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to seal up the hole in the back? I saw where someone used flex-seal... is this really the best option?

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I ended up wrapping the whole enclosure with dynamat.
This was well worth the effort and expense.