Add wireless Carplay to Gen2 Raptor for $85.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's dependent on the batch you get from Carlink, I got two separate wireless carplay kits from them, updated firmware, and never got either to last more than 2 weeks before I encountered countless connectivity problems. Others have had no problems at all, so buyer beware.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Reaction score
My Iphone connects to the stock CARPLAY wirelessly w/o problem. You may need to re-Connect of update carplay. No need for addl. outside equipment.
I also have a dongle similar to the one OP listed from AAWireless. There was no ability for me to connect Android Auto/ CarPlay wirelessly for my 17. 18+ may have wireless capability built in, by my 17 did not.

caleb

Reaction score
Please elaborate on how you got this to work.
It’s not possible. Most vehicles (including the Raptor) do not have wireless CarPlay capability from the factory.

I used the CarlinKit for both my Raptor and my wife’s Panamera and it’s been flawless. The only thing I wish is that it would auto connect but not switch to the CarPlay screen. It does this in both my Raptor and her Panamera.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Iphone connects to the stock CARPLAY wirelessly w/o problem. You may need to re-Connect of update carplay. No need for addl. outside equipment.
Unless your Ford has Sync 4 it does not support wireless CarPlay. You must be confusing it with Bluetooth connectivity, which is very different.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Shark do you have any issues with Pandora skipping and replaying the first 1-2 seconds of a song every time a new song autoplays? I got the Carlinkit for ~$90 and the connection is great. All other apps are great, but Pandora and I can't figure out why it does this...
I only use Spotify. It does occasionally buffer, but it's pretty rare.

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have purchased multiple wireless Carplay modules for a couple of vehicles. My comment is for iOS only, not Android. The Carlinkit works sort-of. Tech support is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. Multiple times they asked me to perform the exact same steps. After 8 weeks they finally agreed to replace the units (I had 2) with a slow boat from China. The replacements were the newer versions and they had the EXACT SAME ISSUES. Well I had to go go Amazon to get a refund because the company wouldn't do anything. I would not buy a Carlinkit now if that were the only wireless option available.

I replaced those with a TNVTEC unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QJXQRPB/?tag=fordraptorforum-20) and a Ottocast (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q176WHH/?tag=fordraptorforum-20) so that I could test them both out. I tried them on both a the Raptor and Wrangler moving them from vehicle to vehicle. After two weeks I settled on the Ottocast and sent the TNVTEC back, and I now have the Ottocast in both vehicles. The ONLY issue I have is they don't like you walking away with the phone and then coming back without shutting the car off. They don't reconnect well. Other than that no issues.

Starting in '21 I believe the Raptor comes with wireless carplay built in and these dongles would not be necessary for you if you have that already. For the poors who have wired carplay only in their trucks the Ottocast should work to give you wireless Carplay.

One addition is that wireless Carplay means you aren't plugging in your phone and therefore not charging it. If you want a wireless charging solution I recommend Leather Seats and their wireless charging console lids (https://leatherseats.com/category/i...charging-console-lids/ford-charging-consoles/). I have one in my '18 Raptor and '21 Wrangler. They work great.

IMG_9581.jpg

BigSix

Reaction score
I replaced those with a TNVTEC unit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QJXQRPB/?tag=fordraptorforum-20) and a Ottocast (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q176WHH/?tag=fordraptorforum-20) so that I could test them both out. I tried them on both a the Raptor and Wrangler moving them from vehicle to vehicle. After two weeks I settled on the Ottocast and sent the TNVTEC back, and I now have the Ottocast in both vehicles. The ONLY issue I have is they don't like you walking away with the phone and then coming back without shutting the car off. They don't reconnect well. Other than that no issues.

I got the Ottocast based on your recommendation. It’s awesome! By the time I get out of the garage, get the mirrors out, and back down the driveway the phone is connected when the rear view camera goes away.

It’s basically unnoticeable.

And I jumped out to pickup a pizza and the device disconnected but reconnected as soon as I got in the car.

Thanks for the work reviewing the offerings available!