Add USB C plug/module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawtonmc

Reaction score
would this one work for my 2018? Description only says 15-17?

That one is not made for our trucks. Our dual USB port plug is the narrow version which you can see in this link https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/media-hub-carplay-compatible-2015-2020-ford-lincoln-sync-3/4683.

As for the USB-C swap, I installed one a couple days ago in my 2018 and got a “usb port is not compatible“ message on SYNC and Carplay did not work (charging still worked though). After some digging around the internet I discovered that the USB-C versions only work on SYNC 3 version 3.4 which is only available from Ford on 2019+ trucks. My 2018 is Version 3.0 and the only way to update to v3.4 is by loading it from a USB stick and doing some changes in FORSCAN. Personally that was not worth the effort just to have a USB-C port.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That one is not made for our trucks. Our dual USB port plug is the narrow version which you can see in this link https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/media-hub-carplay-compatible-2015-2020-ford-lincoln-sync-3/4683.

As for the USB-C swap, I installed one a couple days ago in my 2018 and got a “usb port is not compatible“ message on SYNC and Carplay did not work (charging still worked though). After some digging around the internet I discovered that the USB-C versions only work on SYNC 3 version 3.4 which is only available from Ford on 2019+ trucks. My 2018 is Version 3.0 and the only way to update to v3.4 is by loading it from a USB stick and doing some changes in FORSCAN. Personally that was not worth the effort just to have a USB-C port.

theres a lot of other nice things about v3.4, the best is the night mode dimming actually works like it should...

i also put it on my 2017 fusion and my brothers 2016 F150 so it probably works on any v3.0

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
theres a lot of other nice things about v3.4, the best is the night mode dimming actually works like it should...

i also put it on my 2017 fusion and my brothers 2016 F150 so it probably works on any v3.0
What do you mean by night mode dimming? Dimming of what?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you mean by night mode dimming? Dimming of what?

on 3.0 if you selected the black backround, you'd manually have to go in the menu to adjust the brightness for day/night if the lights are on/off..

3.4 if you select a night mode/dark backround/theme it will work as it should have so its dim when the lights are on and bright when it is not, to match the cluster and whatnot...