ADD/FabFour Bumpers in Winter Weather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence between installing an aftermarket bumper/lighting setup for my '22 or just sticking with the OEM bumper and installing the triple fogs with some Pillar lights. My biggest concern is with the salt in the winter eating through anything metal bumpers and even with a good powdercoating, parts don't seem to last more than a few years before rust starts to build up.

Does anyone have experience with ADD or FabFour bumpers who also lives in a region that gets a lot of snow/salt on the roads? I love the pre-runner look but would hate to spend all that cash just to have rust spots **** me off in a few years..

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my SVC bumper Line Xed. They have a higher end coating that keeps it's finish and doesn't get dull from the sun. Wasn't very expensive either.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind when buying a bumper and worrying about rust is how easy would it be to coat?

That is try to think how easy would it be for you to say, spray paint it, yourself? This would be a decent comparison for each bumper as to how easily the person powder coating it would have it when they coat it. A difficult shape, hard to get to nooks and crannies, etc will make it hard to coat and likely easier to rust. In regards to SVC, for instance, it would probably be easier to keep a Smurf runner bumper looking good then it would a baja bumper.

Something else to consider would be to buy it raw, save the money on their powder coat and paint it yourself every few years. Definitely easier to touch up that way. I painted my bumpers and just touch up the battle scars here and there. That is with Krylon paint too. There are other brands/paint types that are probably more durable too. Steel it might be ones, just a lot more pricey.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think painting it would be more realistic if there were ever any rust issues. Powdercoating it again would require it be sand blasted, so I'd have to remove the entire bumper every couple of years depending on how bad the rust was. I appreciate the perspectives though, definitely something to consider given the environment I live in.

Evil Peaches

Reaction score
I have the SVC bumper for a Jen Juan. I live in the rust belt and have some rust starting already (did not linex) that I will be addressing very soon. Another thing to consider is how the bumper attaches to the truck. With the SVC bumper (in my case) the bolts for the power steering rack connect part of the bumper to the truck. HUGE pain in the ass to take off for new powder. If you want it, I say get it. If you get it, I would definitely consider how easy it is to install/remove.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Fab Fours premium rear bumper on my '18 and it has held up for the last 2 years it has been on the truck. I had the same bumper before the current since 2019 for a year before a rearend scraped the finish and I kept the take off, even sitting on the ground next to the shed it still hasn't rusted yet.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Buckstop front bumper that is aluminum with a steel frame reinforcement mount and the only thing that has any sembelance of corrosion is inside the large allen/hex head bolts.

tbone36

Reaction score
I have had three ADD bumpers, the last being the HoneyBadger. Each of those bumpers were on for 3 plus years in the Midwest where salt is used, and I have had no issues. Mine held up surprisingly well and they were not treated particularly nicely with regular cleanings.