ADD Bumper / Baja Designs Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and got myself the ADD Race R series front bumper along with a Baja Designs OnX6 ARC dual control 30" light bar. The bumper came via FedEx freight - in a box bigger than a twin bed and on a double pallet. The thing was packaged super well, all hardware was there - more than I expected. The first thing I did was install the light bar into the bumper, seemed simple enough. Of course, I used the hardware that came with the light bar thinking this was the only option. No. I got it in but it sat way too far back in the bumper, about an inch recessed. Not happy, I decided to open the hardware box that came with the bumper. A hah! ADD includes like 10 different brackets.

IMG_5021.jpg

After spending a couple hours messing with the light bar install and getting it just so, I then moved on to removing the OEM bumper and skid plate. This is by far the easiest step of the job. If you don't have a good impact gun you must be a *********. The OEM bumper is surprisingly light BTW. This particular ADD bumper uses 6 bolts to hold it to the truck, that's it. 2 on each frame horn and 2 at the back of the skid plate. Anyway, I chose this bumper because of all the non chop bumpers, this one offers the best approach angle (at least from ADD). 2 people are required to at least hand thread 2 bolts on the bumper, after that it's cake.

IMG_5022.jpg

I chose the amber/white light bar because amber helps a lot in the fog/dust and I love the fact that the amber and white are on separate switches so I can have one or the other or both together. BD makes wiring for our Raptors super simple with their uplifter cables. I had no trouble locating the wires however the color codes in my manual are no where near correct. I just used a volt meter to determine which switches I wanted to use.

IMG_5024.jpg

It's weird seeing so much more of the guts of the truck with this bumper. The OEM hides so much you don't realize it until you switch it out. It will take some getting used to I think. Changing the oil filter will be a chore now I think, not sure how I am going to approach that, we'll see. I'm pretty **** about things so I really took my time, tried to align things as perfect as possible and I also spent time trying to make the wiring look as oem as possible. I wish Ford would have made the wires a bit longer but not a huge obstacle.

Anyway, next week I'll tackle my A Pillar BD quads on SDHQ brackets.

IMG_5033.jpg

Last edited:

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to figure out a better skid plate design, sucks taking it off for oil change. And it’s too light, just smashed it in on a dune a couple of hours ago. It bends into the void. Thinking of making one a little thicker and using u-nuts or something to make removal easier. The bumper is awesome just needs a couple of tweaks.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the IC's? did they come with the bumper? did you do those before? just curious it it was easy?

thanks!

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Need to figure out a better skid plate design, sucks taking it off for oil change. And it’s too light, just smashed it in on a dune a couple of hours ago. It bends into the void. Thinking of making one a little thicker and using u-nuts or something to make removal easier. The bumper is awesome just needs a couple of tweaks.

Well at least the skid plate is removable and replaceable. Not sure why they didn't weld nuts on or use u nuts like you mentioned.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

what about the IC's? did they come with the bumper? did you do those before? just curious it it was easy?

thanks!

I did the intercooler a few weeks ago. Much more involved than the bumper.

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least the skid plate is removable and replaceable. Not sure why they didn't weld nuts on or use u nuts like you mentioned.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I did the intercooler a few weeks ago. Much more involved than the bumper.

Yep. Sucks. Taking it off right now laying in sand twisted arm end wrench. For sure changing this next week, add since smashed in it’s a good time to replace.

Attachments

• AD7AA821-8BEA-4815-B409-FA164315DFE1.jpg
    AD7AA821-8BEA-4815-B409-FA164315DFE1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: