Add Apple Carplay to Gen 1 Sync 1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor305

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a new Ford Raptor Owner, i have a 2011 with the factory Navigation System and i was wondering if there is a way to add apple carplay to my factory radio?

thanks guy!
(sorry if this is a super newbie question)

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ripped that entire POS out and replaced it with a nice, new Kenwood system.

Steering wheel controls work. HVAC indicator comes up in the new radio.

Crutchfield or local quality, hi-fi shop is your friend.

With the radio, adapter, and install, I was into it well under a grand. Best upgrade I ever made.

I was really just after CarPlay as well. But it really does sound nice. I may upgrade speakers next.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With the radio, adapter, and install, I was into it well under a grand. Best upgrade I ever made.

I was really just after CarPlay as well. But it really does sound nice. I may upgrade speakers next.

Pics of the kenwood system?

OP
OP
raptor305

raptor305

Reaction score

awesome can you attach pictures and model #

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the same thing. you can check out some pics in this thread. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/upgrading-2010-stereo-w-backup-cam-question.84561/

@heybear did you use the maestro stuff to integrate the steering wheel controls and everything? Were you able to get the factory sub to work? Mine wouldn't work after i got everything plugged in and i had one plug from the maestro unit that wouldn't connect to anything?
i used the FOR-1 adapter kit.

steering wheel works. i had spare plug also. i’m not sure on sub. i haven’t checked yet. will advise.

i’m am going to rip the door speakers out and replace them with something good.

Gearheadfmc

Reaction score

Here's a quick question.... Did you have cameras and if so, do they still work? Did you do the install? If so, can the install be reversed or were cuts made that prohibit reversal?

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick question.... Did you have cameras and if so, do they still work? Did you do the install? If so, can the install be reversed or were cuts made that prohibit reversal?
rear back up camera works.

you don’t use your factory mic for the phone. i hid the aftermarket mic to the lower left of the wheel behind that vented section. seems to work ok.

on my 2011 there is some minor dash trimming required.

i started the install. realized the cutting was NOT for the faint of heart and brought it to my local stereo pros.

i watched them trim it up and it wasn’t that bad.

is it reversible? it seems nothing that is cut is mission critical. but i’m no expert. just plastic gets trimmed. and that’s toward the top of the opening. all covered up when assembled. nothing structural. but i wasn’t going to be the one to do it.

helpful?

:)