Adams All Purpose Cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started using Adams products and have been pleased. I have used many others, Zaino, Chemical Guys, etc and consider myself an Adams user now.

I do have a question on the All Purpose Cleaner (several questions actually)

1. Bug & Tar Remover: living in Florida...love bugs...does APC work on love bug removal? I use Turtle Wax bug remover which works fine but if Adams has a product for that I will use that.

2. Paint Damage: Will APC damage your paint if you do not dilute it? I really don't want to have to deal with diluting the product. Prefer to spray on and remove/wash off.

3. Engine Cleaner: My engine is new and clean but I like to periodically give it a touch up (not with water, just spray on cleaner and wipe off). Can I do that with APC; again, with no dilution just spray on and wipe off?

4. Wheel Wells: Can I spray APC on my wheel wells and just wipe off with no damage or dilution? I know Adams carries and undercarriage cleaner but the video I watched advised to place something on the driveway to protect it so not interested in going that route. I want something easy and effective.

Just trying to gauge how "caustic" APC is. Even past car use, is it a viable substitute for Simple Green as a general cleaner for garage stuff, etc. Probably would not use it for inside house items.

Thanks.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have started using Adams products and have been pleased. I have used many others, Zaino, Chemical Guys, etc and consider myself an Adams user now.

I do have a question on the All Purpose Cleaner (several questions actually)

1. Bug & Tar Remover: living in Florida...love bugs...does APC work on love bug removal? I use Turtle Wax bug remover which works fine but if Adams has a product for that I will use that.

2. Paint Damage: Will APC damage your paint if you do not dilute it? I really don't want to have to deal with diluting the product. Prefer to spray on and remove/wash off.

3. Engine Cleaner: My engine is new and clean but I like to periodically give it a touch up (not with water, just spray on cleaner and wipe off). Can I do that with APC; again, with no dilution just spray on and wipe off?

4. Wheel Wells: Can I spray APC on my wheel wells and just wipe off with no damage or dilution? I know Adams carries and undercarriage cleaner but the video I watched advised to place something on the driveway to protect it so not interested in going that route. I want something easy and effective.

Just trying to gauge how "caustic" APC is. Even past car use, is it a viable substitute for Simple Green as a general cleaner for garage stuff, etc. Probably would not use it for inside house items.

Thanks.

I'm very glad to hear that you have been pleased with the products! Thank you for your business!

Answers:

1. All Purpose Cleaner will help on the bug removal, but it is not a heavy-duty bug and tar remover.

2. It will not damage paint if used undiluted, but do be careful not to let it dry on the paint. Work in the shade and make sure the paint is not hot, so the product does not dry. It will, however, remove any protection on the paint like wax or sealant, so you would need to reapply after cleaning with APC. If your paint is protected with a Paint Sealant, then I would suggest using Waterless Wash or diluted Rinseless Wash (6:1 ratio) to pre-soak the bugs to soften them up enough to wash them off.

3. If APC is used on the engine as a degreaser, it really needs to be rinsed off, since it can damage surfaces like polished or uncoated aluminum, and painted surfaces if allowed to dry. Instead of APC, use Waterless Wash for light cleanings in the engine bay.

4. You can use the APC as a spray and wipe on the plastic wheel wells, but I would not use it on other surfaces without rinsing. Again, try Waterless Wash for your spray-and-wipe cleaning needs.

APC is a strong cleaner/degreaser, so it needs to be used with some caution, since the pH is high. It is really meant for heavy cleaning, where you will be scrubbing and rinsing it off. It is hard to directly compare with Simple Green, since the strength of that cleaner depends on the dilution ratio. At typical ratios, they could be considered to be similar, as far as caustic (ie pH level).

It can be used for typical cleaning tasks around the garage or shop.

Also, note that today we released the New Eco All Purpose Cleaner, which is a replacement to the original APC. This new formula is still a great cleaner, but without being harsh or harmful to the environment, or yourself. As stated above, is not recommended for delicate surfaces like polished aluminum. Dilute the cleaner as needed, and never spray on a hot surface and allow it to dry – staining/spotting could occur.

Thanks for the tag @Raven13!