Actually Pulling Someone Out of Sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Folks,

So I've pulled two people out so far of sand in MD and NC coastal waters...

Which ways do you really do this? I just have the simple truck ropes, jack and jack stand and the tire traction pads.

1657645587083.png 1657645612297.png 1657645640657.png

I just simply tell the stuck person to put their vehicle in either reverse or drive pending which way we are pulling... and I put my RAPTOR in 4H. give about 10 inches of slack on the rope and then creep forward slowly making sure not to get my own self STUCK. Prior to moving I dig out their rear a bit and put the traction pads under the rear tires if we're pulling that direction...

What other tips are out there so I can help people better?

Donovan

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,

So I've pulled two people out so far of sand in MD and NC coastal waters...

Which ways do you really do this? I just have the simple truck ropes, jack and jack stand and the tire traction pads.

View attachment 362766 View attachment 362767 View attachment 362768

I just simply tell the stuck person to put their vehicle in either reverse or drive pending which way we are pulling... and I put my RAPTOR in 4H. give about 10 inches of slack on the rope and then creep forward slowly making sure not to get my own self STUCK. Prior to moving I dig out their rear a bit and put the traction pads under the rear tires if we're pulling that direction...

What other tips are out there so I can help people better?

Donovan
whats the rating on that strap? for sand a kinetic energy rope works well. leave slack and go for it. the rope stretches and pulls the stuck person out. i also have a 30k lb strap from arb. its about 4.5 inches wide and a good 3/16 in thick. its not the cheap max rated 30k straps that are half the size. but sometimes when i need more distance i will use both. i have 2) 7/8 in d rings and 2 soft shackles rated at 55k lbs.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thread 'Rescue and Recovery…Tales from the Trail'
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/rescue-and-recovery…tales-from-the-trail.91131/

There is a lot of good Rescue/Recovery tips in this thread from several folks.

*Using that Static Drag Strap as a Kinetic Energy Rope is a recipe for Disaster. You may get away with it 10x until the 11th time when a hook comes flying through your window or worse yet hits someone standing in the Danger Zone.
The MAXTRAX are a staple in my gear. Never leave home without them.
Thank You for Paying it Forward helping folks in need. You never know when it may be you needing the help.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
whats the rating on that strap? for sand a kinetic energy rope works well. leave slack and go for it. the rope stretches and pulls the stuck person out. i also have a 30k lb strap from arb. its about 4.5 inches wide and a good 3/16 in thick. its not the cheap max rated 30k straps that are half the size. but sometimes when i need more distance i will use both. i have 2) 7/8 in d rings and 2 soft shackles rated at 55k lbs.
Right, now... I need the piece that connects into the tow hitch...

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Shackle and rope ready to go. KE rope will make the task far easier when someone is really buried, just make sure you match rope rating to the vehicles you will be pulling out most commonly, overkill doesn't really work well here.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Rhino USA Shackle Hitch Receiver (Fits 2" Receivers) Best Towing Accessories for Trucks, Jeep, Toyota & More - Connect Your Rhino Tow Strap for Vehicle Recovery, Mounts to 2" Receiver Hitches https://a.co/d/3lO5cjJ

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Just in case you want to help the knuckle heads that hit the trail w/o any MFing Recovery Points on their Celica….lol

TYFYB G70 Steel Towing Chain Bridle 3/8" X 2' V-Type Tow Chain with 15 Inch J-Hooks Link 2 inch Legs?Gold Tractor Car Wrecker Truck Tie?7800 lbs Safe Working Load https://a.co/d/d6t4cd7