GEN 2 Active Noise Control (Fake Engine) Disable How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had dealership disable enhanced exhaust tone via their IDS tool

Now, that's interesting! Since Ford built in a disable feature, they must have anticipated that some owners would dislike the false engine noise and want it disabled. So then why would they design in the false engine noise in the first place?

I can envision a discussion between the engineers and the marketeers:

Marketing: We need this truck to sound more manly.
Engineering: What? Why?
Marketing: It'll sell better if it sounds tougher.
Engineering: Well, maybe. We've never had to do that before.
Marketing: We think it's a necessity on this particular model.
Engineering: We've done all we can with the exhaust system.
Marketing: What about the sound system?
Engineering: You want us to modify the sound system to produce engine noise in the cab? What's the point of using sound deadening materials all through the cab design if we're going to artificially make it noisier?
Marketing: Do it.
Engineering: Yes sir.

(And as they're leaving the meeting, the engineers decide among themselves to program a disable feature just in case the Marketing guys are full of shit.)

:)

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stereo

Now, that's interesting! Since Ford built in a disable feature, they must have anticipated that some owners would dislike the false engine noise and want it disabled. So then why would they design in the false engine noise in the first place?

I can envision a discussion between the engineers and the marketeers:

Marketing: We need this truck to sound more manly.
Engineering: What? Why?
Marketing: It'll sell better if it sounds tougher.
Engineering: Well, maybe. We've never had to do that before.
Marketing: We think it's a necessity on this particular model.
Engineering: We've done all we can with the exhaust system.
Marketing: What about the sound system?
Engineering: You want us to modify the sound system to produce engine noise in the cab? What's the point of using sound deadening materials all through the cab design if we're going to artificially make it noisier?
Marketing: Do it.
Engineering: Yes sir.

(And as they're leaving the meeting, the engineers decide among themselves to program a disable feature just in case the Marketing guys are full of shit.)

:)

They built in a disable, because it interfered with the kicker subwoofer if you added one. Thats how I got mine disabled, was in the factory instructions for the sub installation.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

But you are probably correct Ruger, Thats more than likely exactly how it went!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There’s a youtube video of before and after the disable in the 17 raptor. It convinced me not to mess with it as the after sound was pretty darn far from an improvement. The best I can describe it is with the enhanced sound, it sounds like a v6 with a weird firing order. After it sounds like you’re torturing a hedgehog.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once mine had been disabled, I noticed that it "MAY" be a little quieter inside the cab, but the tone change from the engine seemed negligible at best. Not much of a change at all. I think it lost that "Racing" (if you can call it that) sound when you really hammer it. I was not overly impressed with the "Racing" sound, so of course, I don't miss it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s a youtube video of before and after the disable in the 17 raptor. It convinced me not to mess with it as the after sound was pretty darn far from an improvement. The best I can describe it is with the enhanced sound, it sounds like a v6 with a weird firing order. After it sounds like you’re torturing a hedgehog.

Colorful! Made me laugh early in the morning when I usually don't laugh.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Call me a Gen II ***** but I like the sound... it's no V8 sound but I am good with the exhaust note and the cabin sound.

FORScan can also disable this if you wish:
ACM 727-01-01 xxxx x0xx xxxx

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I hear you JD - no pun intended - my last car was a turbo outback, and ... thank God it was quiet, because there’s a guy up the street with a Sub WRX + exhaust. it sounds like a VW beetle with no muffler; that is to say, bad.

the ttv6 sounds fine, but won’t win any converts from the hot rodding arena who are used to what a proper v8 should sound like.

Still, check out the youtube video of the Raptor with the engine audio enhancement turned off. I stand by my torturing a hedgehog comment, the sound is inside the cabin.

Windows down it’s not atrocious.