AC System on 2012 135,000mile 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean mechanic works kicks my rear anymore also. Put off the condensor last winter then it got too hot really fast in AZ so I didn't drive it really, except for the mornings in summer . I'm determined get it done this winter.

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
I've driven this truck for 10 years and all of the sudden I'm questioning myself as well as my aged tech experience.

Question.....Will a 2012 Raptor AC work when it's 40F outside driving down the road?

-I can only get my shop to about 60F to 75F. It's 30 to 40F outside here in SW KS right now.
-The AC machine I'm using obviously needs to be at least 50F to operate properly
-Had a little issue charging my AC system due to the above the first time.
-Long story short, I had to evacuate and charge my truck 3 times. (Once because I had to put in 2oz of oil because the AC machine line was plugged and didn't show any oil came out of my system, I should have known)
-Added the 2 oz of oil to my system this afternoon.
-Heated my shop up to 55F/60F
-Charged system.
-AC seemed to work great in the shop. PSI on the low side seemed a little low, but high side seemed good for how long I let it run/get fully warmed up. 36 to 38F out the vents.
-Ran it up to 2k RPM and system seemed to work as it should.
-Took it into the car wash to was off a few areas where oil cooler lines leaked, AC oil, just do a under hood clean to monitor for oil leaks, etc.
-Got about 1 block from the shop and AC warmed up to 60F at the vents at best.
-You might ask.....who wants to run the AC when it's 35F outside......I just was gonna leave it on to see what it acted like then turn the heat on, wash under hood, and get it back to my shop to finish drying out.

I keep thinking before that I could turn the AC on in the winter and it would blow cold.........Or have I just lost my mind? The reasoning for this is in the spring and fall, well we live in KS. It can be 90F in the day and 30F at night when seasons change. I often find myself remote starting the truck and jump in and have to turn the heat up or AC on in the morning then adjust on the way home.
After thinking about it I don't think it should blow cold when it's 35F out. Ambient temp and or expansion valve likely wouldn't let anything freeze.

Either way, it's winter, heater works, and I'm not driving our company suburban anymore! Guess if I gotta Evac and Charge in the spring, whatever.

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
The expansion valve on this system should adjust and not let it blow cold air (38 to 44F just out vents) in 35F ambient temp correct?
I overthink everything

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
One last evac & charge yet again. It's up and running w/o issue. AC machine gave me some fits. Long story short I got the oil added back in that I needed and did a finial charge. Took 1.5lbs of R134A quickly and everything ran smooth. Cleaned the truck up and took it for a 200 mile trip. Turned on the AC a few times and it blew 38F without issue. Hopefully everything is set and I don't have to do another evac and charge this next spring. If I do it will be over 80F.
That old compressor stayed alive a long time making noise. New FoMoCo unit is quiet as it should be.

If I could do it all over again I'd have installed a temporary heater and got my shop up to 80F for a day and let the AC machine get acclimated.

All parts for this project was purchased at Fordpartsgiant.com. $1350 give or take for everything but the evaporator.
I also shop Tasca Ford Parts and Fairway Ford Parts. Between those two and Ford Parts Giant I have saved a ton on stuff for my Raptor. All my shocks were purchased from Fairway Ford Parts and with front insulators, nuts, and something else it came to $1675.
My local dealer and a few others nearly double 40% higher........I do my best to shop local but 40% is 40%.

Last edited: