AC System on 2012 135,000mile 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunner1975

Reaction score
AC System on 2012 135,000mile 6.2

Replaced the condenser on my 2012 Ford Raptor a couple years back due to the oil cooler leak. Serviced the AC properly however the compressor shortly after started making that "I'm gonna give up on you some day" sound. Fast forward to a few weeks ago it locked up while driving 30mph. Got it shut down but the rubber damper on the clutch caught fire. Thankfully I got it out in no time.

Went to Ford Parts Giant .com and ordered pretty much the whole system minus oil and evaporator. Going to see if I can get it up and going this weekend.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for complete AC overhaul on 2012 6.2?

Ah, one more item. The blower motor resistor went out a few months back. Installed a Standard brand resistor from O'Riellys. The blower motor acts a little different like delay to react when turning fan up and down. Probably going to pick up a Motorcraft part and swap that out as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you vacuum down the system for 45 minutes and fill it using a manifold gauge set? If there’s any air in the system it won’t function properly. Also, any oil that was in the original condenser needs to be measured and the same amount then added to the new condenser.

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
All new parts minus evaporator in which I will flush it. Luckily I have access to a ACR2000 134A recovery and charge machine so I don't expect any issues. Compressor appears to be one of the tougher items to R&R.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck, that’s one of those systems where I would have to break down and take it to Ford to fix. As with anything I just prepare myself for the cost it’s going to be. (It helps if you bring your own lube, lol)

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
You wouldn't in my neck of the woods.........Closest Ford Dealer I trust is 150 miles away (Unfortunately) and they quoted me $3200. My previous profession was a auto/diesel tech. I primarily work on muscle car stuff these days. Newest vehicle I have done an AC system on was my 2004 FX4.
I'm just procrastinating.
Our local techs around here have really gone down hill and or just don't want to work. Even a few of the local shops that have always done really good work can't hire good help so they are booked for months.
I get calls once or twice a month to drop into a dealership to help diagnose odd ball gremlins and I've been out of it for a long time.

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
Condenser is in (Forgot how fun that little task is). Compressor and line sets are out. Next up is to remove expansion valve and flush Evap. Can't say I'm enjoying this very much.
I wish I had access to ALLDATA or similar these days. Oh well, I'll get it.
I got lucky and borrowed a AC machine from a buddy that I didn't know he had.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With the blower motor resistor use the motorcraft one tied to your vin number, if you go aftermarket there are many variations . It will cause issues if you don't select correct aftermarket one. I still need to swap out condensor on my 2010 i keep putting it off .

OP
OP
G

Gunner1975

Reaction score
Expansion valve wouldn't be bad if I had 6' arms and I had an eye on one of my hands. I've got my truck on a Bendpak lift so makes the topside a little more challenging.
Compressor and the two other lines and I'll have it under a vacuum. Not sure I'll finish it this evening.
Being out of Mechanic shape and having a small medical condition is kicking my ass. I don't know what book time is on this, but I'm not gonna beat it. Guessing book time on everything is 9hours. Replacing everything but the evaporator.