GEN 2 AC circulation on but not functioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
So I started smelling fumes from outside the car while the AC recirculation button was on. Tried cycling it on and off but without any change in fan speed. Also I remember hearing a "click" sound when turning it on and off before. This time no sound whatsoever.
I also do not hear any other weird sound from the fan or anything under the dash.
This lead me that it could be a fuse or relay - hopefully - but my search did not come up with any specific fuse/relay to check.

Can anyone suggest which fuse/relay to check? Is there a way to know if the actuator itself is broken? I am trying to avoid very costly repairs that require dash removal.

Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are no fuses or relays to check; the mode doors are controlled directly by the HVAC module.

To see if there is a fault in the system, you would need to pull DTCs with a scan tool like ForScan or IDS.

OP
OP
A

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
There are no fuses or relays to check; the mode doors are controlled directly by the HVAC module.

To see if there is a fault in the system, you would need to pull DTCs with a scan tool like ForScan or IDS.
Thanks for sharing that. I will try to find someone to read the codes for me.

I was wondering if anyone faced a similar issue.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez... only thing that keeps me from s c r e w i n g the door shut (as done on some of my previous vehicles). Then again, I believe if you aren't smart enough to know when to open the recirculation for outside air, or crack a window, driver is too stupid to operate a motor vehicle in the first place. My vehicles should not have to keep ME from doing stupid things. Think we need to outlaw bicycle helmets for kids and kick start Darwin again so the rest of us can get control of OUR products.

...and seriously, I have to find a work around for s c r e w i n g??? What the hell?!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
Was the scan tool capable of pulling DTCs directly from the HVAC Module/FCIM or was it a generic OBD scanner that can only pull DTCs from the PCM?
I have a nGuage hooked up and used it to scan the codes.

In previous gens I read a lot about broken air blend door motor. However, I think I should hear some noise if that was my case.