AC blows hot air randomly ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jango

Reaction score
My AC started to blow hot air but not all the time. Has anyone ran into this and what did you do to fix ???

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, when it's blowing cold air, does it just stop being cold and then turn to hot like the heat is on, or just theres no more cold air so it blows cabin/outside air out of the vents? Or is it that sometimes you turn on the a/c and it just blows hot air like the heat is on or its just blowing cabin/outdoor air out of the vents? And I'm guessing we are talking about without the recirc button on or off? Help us diagnos this better with a bit more description.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have similar problem, with my new 2022 which i just drove across country.
1. I usually do not use recirculating air
2. My symptoms was cold air stopped and fan speed went down to min. Ambient temp in 3 instances during trip was between 90-100. Was already driving non stop for more than 2 hours.
3. After a while of AC/ off, like 30-60 min, The AC would come back on, Fan full speed and cold air.
4. On last instance, with a stop of car, power off , the AC would return to normal.
5. I don't think its AC related, as FAN speed control basically does not work, it stays min no matter the dial or AC on or not.

I searched the web and found another post for this exact problem for 2021+ F150. They eventually diagnosed as bad HVAC chip. But did usual check for leaks, Freon charge levels etc.

Now that I’m home, I take it to dealer for 1st oil change and this problem. Showed him the article where it might be chip. But… nooooo. They went thru same routine and comes back with nothing wrong with system. BUT…
Told me they dug up tech bulletin about issue. The system will automatically reduce fan speed if temp is “too hot”…. WTF does that mean. I can’t believe that ambient of 100 is too hot. if it were like 110 or 120 i would concur.
And then i get my car back with 18 miles more on it. Seperate issue i think these people took my truck for joy ride too.
Back to issue, @FORDGURU or Ford tech guy…. Anybody know or have this issue. It’s random, so not easy to solve.
thx

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have similar problem, with my new 2022 which i just drove across country.
1. I usually do not use recirculating air
2. My symptoms was cold air stopped and fan speed went down to min. Ambient temp in 3 instances during trip was between 90-100. Was already driving non stop for more than 2 hours.
3. After a while of AC/ off, like 30-60 min, The AC would come back on, Fan full speed and cold air.
4. On last instance, with a stop of car, power off , the AC would return to normal.
5. I don't think its AC related, as FAN speed control basically does not work, it stays min no matter the dial or AC on or not.

I searched the web and found another post for this exact problem for 2021+ F150. They eventually diagnosed as bad HVAC chip. But did usual check for leaks, Freon charge levels etc.

Now that I’m home, I take it to dealer for 1st oil change and this problem. Showed him the article where it might be chip. But… nooooo. They went thru same routine and comes back with nothing wrong with system. BUT…
Told me they dug up tech bulletin about issue. The system will automatically reduce fan speed if temp is “too hot”…. WTF does that mean. I can’t believe that ambient of 100 is too hot. if it were like 110 or 120 i would concur.
And then i get my car back with 18 miles more on it. Seperate issue i think these people took my truck for joy ride too.
Back to issue, @FORDGURU or Ford tech guy…. Anybody know or have this issue. It’s random, so not easy to solve.
thx
I doubt if it’s the ambient air , more like the condenser pressure is too high, but a good tech should be able to find the problem. I don’t know if the new gens have low and high speed or if your shutters are stuck closed, probably something along those lines. I would pull over next time and see if the cooling fans are on high and your shutters are open.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx, I’ll mention that to them, and going to different dealer for service.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start at looking at the clutch wire for the condenser. My truck had a broken wire that would cause it to do this. I just cut and spliced in where the break was and problem solved.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue yesterday. Driving for about 2 hours. A/c started to blow out very weak and the fan speed slowed down to nothing. Keeping the fan on and turning off the a/c for a few mins got the fan to start working again in a/c mode. The first time this happen to me a few months ago it was at the very end of a 3 hour ride. It had no issue after it sat for about 20 mins.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On bith my Gen1's this has been caused by water (condensate) getting into the lower (driver side temp) blend door actuator - the one right at the bottom of the HVAC unit. Absolute bitch to replace. The water got in as I parked on a slope in such a way that the AC drain was not the lowest point so a little the condensate seeped through intot he actuator. When dry enough it would work fine. When water was there it would blow hot. Eventually the actuator would stop working altogether. Went through 4 of these units and 2 trucks before I finally worked out what was happening when I took an old unit apart. Your issue may not be exactly the same but the symptoms sound familiar