Abrupt fuel mileage drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a puzzle that I figured out.....
Recently mounted new **** Cepek Fun Country tires 315's with rubber bead balancing, and had my alignment done CORRECTLY!!!!, as well as changed my brake pads.
Suddenly my mileage plummeted; averaging close to 16 mpg, it dropped to 13.
Brakes NOT dragging. No pulling to either side. Coasts like hot ice skates on ice.
Not burning oil; last oil change 3,000 miles prior to onset of decreased mileage...Mobil 1 synthetic as always and new Bosch filter. Air filter looks clean. No emergency brake drag. No abnormal sounds at idle.
The only difference I can be certain of was a new hum with the new tires...

OK....What was it?
Yes I figured it out, and no it was nothing exotic....
Answer tomorrow......

Eddie

OP
OP
Ditchplains1

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EricM,
Good thought...should have mentioned it in earlier post. All four tires at 50# after installation. I dropped them to 42# and kept them there. Same pressure as previous BFG's.
But no not the answer....

Eddie

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
went with a larger tire, decreasing mileage. or the neighbor kid is siphoning off gas while your sleeping.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to guess that the tires were directional and installed backwards but I don't think the fun country is directional. Hmm...

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weight bro. I went from BFGs to X3s on beadlocks and went from right around 14.2 to just about 12.5. My commute also changed, but I think that less of a role

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 mpg loss is quite high for just a same size tire swap but it could be. I installed BFG KM2's and only lost 1.5mpg's. Switched to the new BFG and went back to where it was.