GEN 1 About to spend 1500 on rebuilt shocks, need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Lucas

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cjf1001

Reaction score
Just got my rebuilt fronts from Fox back and installed. Took a while but rides like a new one. Mine was a spare set purchased off a forum member shipping killed the bargain for me. Have about $800 in shipping/rebuilding and $300 for install. If I had it to do again I would buy new.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well they don't have torque settings.
The dealer torque to 425 ft-lbs. because I asked for that torque setting.
The OEM spec is 406 ft-lbs.
When I drove 100+ miles, I put my Dewalt on it and I got a almost a quarter turn.
Good enough for me.
Plus I use the gun for other things, good investment for $149 on sale gun only at Homedepot.
I'm not buying a 3 foot+ torque wrench plus 3/4" drive socket for two bolts.
Then you have to jack to front up pretty high to work it.
And hope you don't pull the truck off the jacks.

Torque wrench
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX16Z4Q/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krin

Krin

Reaction score
Great info in these posts. Very thankful for it. Tho I do Not personally own the proper torque tool myself, My brother inlaw is a mechanic and should have to tool I need?. Possible if not I'll buy one. I really want to do this myself, with all that is happening I'm not getting out to much atm and my Raptor is still operational so the shocks are sitting around waiting. Its been years from last I was excited to work on a Truck, or even had a reason to.

Great to have a place to go to make sure I get as much Info as possible.
Thanks.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well they don't have torque settings.
The dealer torque to 425 ft-lbs. because I asked for that torque setting.
The OEM spec is 406 ft-lbs.
When I drove 100+ miles, I put my Dewalt on it and I got a almost a quarter turn.
Good enough for me.
Plus I use the gun for other things, good investment for $149 on sale gun only at Homedepot.
I'm not buying a 3 foot+ torque wrench plus 3/4" drive socket for two bolts.
Then you have to jack to front up pretty high to work it.
And hope you don't pull the truck off the jacks.

Torque wrench
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX16Z4Q/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

If you want to say **** it on torque specs and just ugga dugga it- have at it. I prefer to use a torque wrench on mission critical stuff to achieve proper stretch, and avoid putting them into elastic deformation. Buying a new tool is a good thing for me- not sure why you are adverse to owning a tool you don't have. Jacking it up pretty high is not an issue either, I have jacks.

There's always a torque multiplier route too. They are useful in lots of situations.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to say **** it on torque specs and just ugga dugga it- have at it. I prefer to use a torque wrench on mission critical stuff to achieve proper stretch, and avoid putting them into elastic deformation. Buying a new tool is a good thing for me- not sure why you are adverse to owning a tool you don't have. Jacking it up pretty high is not an issue either, I have jacks.

There's always a torque multiplier route too. They are useful in lots of situations.

I don't consider the bottom shock bolt as critical, control arm bolts, ball joints, tie rod end bolts, Yes.
The impact gun does up to 400 ft-lbs. and I was able to get almost a 1/4 turn after it was torqued to 425 ft-lbs.
I'd say that's within +/- 3 to 4% accuracy.
A cheap torque wrench has the same accuracy rating.
Considering the bolt spec is 406 ft-lbs.
I'm going to turn 60 years old and it's getting harder to work on my vehicles.
Strange how fast your body tells you, you had enough. It started going down hill two years ago.
The only thing I will do on the Raptor is oil and filter and general maintenance.
I have about $12,000 (1970 to 1990 prices. LOL) in tools laying around in my garage, I use maybe a tenth of them now a days.
I will be retiring in two years moving the **** out of NYC and getting a condo.
My future son-in-law will be getting all my stuff.
Luckily I can pay someone else to do the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krin

Krin

Reaction score
Thats Great @MTF sounds like a solid plan. I to look forward to moving into a Condo or somewhere that someone else takes care of things like the yard and snow or what ever. Getting my Lady to want the same, Now thats the tough part.

On another not I was at Ford today buying new Bed Bolts for my 2011 Raptor and talked to my Serves guy Bill. Asked him to look into the Front Shock replacements. He told me it would be 400 to get it done. So I questioned the 406 and how they would make it happen. I was told they would use a torque multiplier route tool, Like @EricM mentioned. I thanked them and went on my way.

My Brother in Law like @MTF has a crap load of tools and if he does not have what is needed he tends to get the right tool. So atm I will hold off and talk to him to see where I go from here. I have the new Shocks and my current Shocks are NOT leaking atm. I should be good for a bit. I do not drive to much anyway. Bought my Raptor in Dec with 63k and I have only 64.4k on here today. Yea not much.