About to pull the trigger on new tires...help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the front tire fully turned after I reinstalled my mid flaps.

va8a8a9a.jpg

This was as big as it was going to fit without further modifications to the truck.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boom baby!
37x12.50r17 cooper sttmax on method nv's mid perch. Rubs when I turn but not too much triming needed to clear. I wont be off roading with these. Thats what the stockers are for.

u2ydatum.jpg

4eruhy3a.jpg

aturu6at.jpg

7aqe9ymy.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread amazes me. I read the whole thread and I only recall one post about ride and noise. Nothing about wheel offset.s

The reason the new 35s on new rims rub is not because they are bigger than the stock tires it's because the new wheels have a different offset than factory pushing the tires further out from the frame. Because the tires are further out they rub when you turn. Those tires of factory or close to factory offset would be fine. 37's on factory wheels and mid perch may well be fine too.

I personally drive street most of the time and I offroad in the desert around Phx. Like the stock tires on the street, and they perform great in the desert, but with a dozen days offroad, maybe 60 hours of driving, they are pretty chunked.

I want tires that are quiet and ride well on the road, are as effective in the desert as the stock BFGs, and don't chunk as easily. I could care less about how "aggressive" they look.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And that's ok. Different strokes for different folks.

Those 37 MTRs were pretty big. Maybe they would have fit on the stock rims, but I doubt it. Those were going to need some serious trimming.

I personally was concerned with looks. I wanted a more "aggressive" stance and was looking for the tires to "stick out" a little bit. By chance I ended up right where I wanted to be. 1" sticking out, no trimming, no rubbing (the mud flap just a little bit when reversing turned) and mid perch. I didn't want top perch or any major surgery.

And now that I look at 37s closely, I don't think I like that "big tire" look either. I thought I did, but I changed my mind.

To those that are able to fit 37s in there, kudos! I'm happy for them. To those who go off roading and compress the crap out of their suspension? Kudos! Happy for them to. And for all the street queens out there that just want to look good? No kudos for you. I'm jealous of you.....

TurboEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the mid perch? I realize there are new tires involved and there may be other variables involved but still...

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How is the mid perch? I realize there are new tires involved and there may be other variables involved but still...

Good question. The truck feels great. It drives awesome. Very responsive. Like you say, not sure of it's the new tires or the mid perch or a combination of both. But in any case the improvement is very noticeable.

I'm glad things turned out the way they did. The truck looks and drives great.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want tires that are quiet and ride well on the road, are as effective in the desert as the stock BFGs, and don't chunk as easily. I could care less about how "aggressive" they look.

Can't remember if I already posted in this thread. Anyhow, if that's what you're looking for out of a tires, I highly recommend the Falkon wildpeaks. Ride soft and quite on the street, perform well in the dirt, and no chunking. 14,000 miles, and 3,000 or so in the dirt and they are in great shape. Not the best in deep mud but neither are the stockers.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've found the All Terrain and Mud Terrain designations to be very inconsistent between brands. I saw some Maxxis tires that looked positively grotesque in the size of their treads, whereas some other MTs looked mild by comparison. There seems to be some marketing hype mixed in here. The ATs are wanting to become more "aggressive" to perform better off road, while some MTs are getting "milder" to not be as loud and perform better on the street.

Logic tells me one tire can't be the best in all terrains, especially mud vs. pavement. Some compromise is going to be made. I see ATs advertised with better mileage warranties, and the Pro Comp just stuck a 40,000 mile warranty on their MTs. It's all very confusing.

mjyst3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's installed today 7-9-14.

*** I am street queen for now. I am ok with that status.***

Specs:
37x12.50x17
Stock Beadlock Rims
Mid Perch
WSI HD Springs (2" drop Shackle)

20140709_165201.jpg

20140709_164825.jpg

20140709_164810.jpg

20140709_164722.jpg

Last edited: