A warning for dog owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my experience, something I didn’t even think of till it happened. I’ve got 2020 802a leadfoot screw. I love the plentiful room in back for our 135lb Great Dane (still a pup). He’s been in and out of it since I bought new last September. But this last weekend we went to the lake and when I opened rear door he bolted out and then went into complete freak out screaming, yelping. I quickly realize 2 of his extremely large toes went thru one of the holes in the running board and his pads Locked them in and he couldn’t pull out. I try to dislodge quickly but he’s flailing about in full panic. I thought his toes were going to be severed off. As I’m trying to dislodge he bit my hand as any animal will do when in fright/flight mode. Anyway, ignored the bite and got him loose and he’s only got a slight slice on his paw but he’s fine. It’s gonna take a week for my fingers to heal (I don’t blame the pooch) he seemed sorry afterward. So if you’ve got dogs beware of those semi circle cut out holes in running board.

View attachment 165528

View attachment 165530
I feel your pain, I got a 140lb Cane Corso, he could easily jump in or out but I still pick his rear up to get him in, and pick him up to get out to avoid that happening to him.

Justbob

Reaction score
This is a good point. I have always had Rotties and they would jump in and out of my trucks no problem. Then one day my last one hit the “old age” wall and decides to try to use the “running tube” on my Ram and as he gets up his rear leg slips off in between the truck and the tube, he goes backwards and is hung up. Luckily I was right there and grabbed him, but 3-4 seconds of flailing and he probably would have broken his leg. I have a 2 yo Cane Corso now who also just hops in and out and I didn’t think twice about the nice “flat” Raptor running boards.......thanks for the warning.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Where would I look for that? Because my wife said “fix it” so it doesn’t happen again. The dog weighs way more than my wife and if it happened with just her she would never have gotten him loose and I’m sure his toes would have torn off.

I would cover it with some aluminum Diamond plate. You can buy small sections in my local industrial metal supply or Home Depot. You can cut it with a table saw using a carbide tipped blade. Paint or powder coat if the raw look bothers you.

al diamond plate.png

Medic 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the dog man, good to hear he will be ok. Yes, the bite is a natural reaction. Appreciate the heads up.

MO to CA

Reaction score
Put whatever you get on the bottom side of the step so that the holes are filled, but then you don’t have a damn giant piece of diamond plate showing. Leave that for the West Coast Choppers crowd...

Maybe consider some black delrin/acetal sheet, or powder coated black aluminum sheet cut to size.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put a heavy towel or floor mat down for the dog as he gets in and out. I wouldn’t make any permanent attachments.
My gsp hasn’t had any problems getting in/ out of the rear cab or truck bed.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my experience, something I didn’t even think of till it happened. I’ve got 2020 802a leadfoot screw. I love the plentiful room in back for our 135lb Great Dane (still a pup). He’s been in and out of it since I bought new last September. But this last weekend we went to the lake and when I opened rear door he bolted out and then went into complete freak out screaming, yelping. I quickly realize 2 of his extremely large toes went thru one of the holes in the running board and his pads Locked them in and he couldn’t pull out. I try to dislodge quickly but he’s flailing about in full panic. I thought his toes were going to be severed off. As I’m trying to dislodge he bit my hand as any animal will do when in fright/flight mode. Anyway, ignored the bite and got him loose and he’s only got a slight slice on his paw but he’s fine. It’s gonna take a week for my fingers to heal (I don’t blame the pooch) he seemed sorry afterward. So if you’ve got dogs beware of those semi circle cut out holes in running board.

View attachment 165528

View attachment 165530

This exact thing happened to my little dog.

My 'little' dog has no problem getting over 6' wood fences, so I think she'll be ok here. The big one is getting up there in age and has arthritis in his rear legs. He usually just waits for me to pick him up.

I got some portable stares for him, but haven't really gotten around to training him to use it.

All that said, I recall that are some products available to cover those holes.

I have the exact situation. My old lab has bad knees and I have to lift her in.

Panga Beach.jpg

Frank Beach.jpg

The old little dog in front is not the one. Beans was put down a few months ago. Frank is the old lab in the back. (Frank and Beans @Oldfart, and they are both girls)

B Scott

Reaction score
My two Rottweilers are only allowed in the bed of the truck, not inside. They have been jumping in and out with no issues thus far.