A warning for dog owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my experience, something I didn’t even think of till it happened. I’ve got 2020 802a leadfoot screw. I love the plentiful room in back for our 135lb Great Dane (still a pup). He’s been in and out of it since I bought new last September. But this last weekend we went to the lake and when I opened rear door he bolted out and then went into complete freak out screaming, yelping. I quickly realize 2 of his extremely large toes went thru one of the holes in the running board and his pads Locked them in and he couldn’t pull out. I try to dislodge quickly but he’s flailing about in full panic. I thought his toes were going to be severed off. As I’m trying to dislodge he bit my hand as any animal will do when in fright/flight mode. Anyway, ignored the bite and got him loose and he’s only got a slight slice on his paw but he’s fine. It’s gonna take a week for my fingers to heal (I don’t blame the pooch) he seemed sorry afterward. So if you’ve got dogs beware of those semi circle cut out holes in running board.

image.jpg

AF7597A3-E0DB-427A-B741-10C66BD6B773.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve not seen that particular problem, because our golden likes to leap into the cab and out. Of course, that won’t last forever but if it’s really tight he won’t make the jump, he’ll put his paws up and look around in confusion. I usually just help him up at that point.

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully you two are on the mend quickly.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 'little' dog has no problem getting over 6' wood fences, so I think she'll be ok here. The big one is getting up there in age and has arthritis in his rear legs. He usually just waits for me to pick him up.

I got some portable stares for him, but haven't really gotten around to training him to use it.

All that said, I recall that are some products available to cover those holes.

OP
OP
Macdaddy

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? Where would I look for that? Because my wife said “fix it” so it doesn’t happen again. The dog weighs way more than my wife and if it happened with just her she would never have gotten him loose and I’m sure his toes would have torn off.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? Where would I look for that? Because my wife said “fix it” so it doesn’t happen again. The dog weighs way more than my wife and if it happened with just her she would never have gotten him loose and I’m sure his toes would have torn off.

This is what I was thinking of.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/running-board-mod.75364/

It's not really designed to be load bearing though, so perhaps not a good option for your situation.

Throwing something like this or the top may not look as clean, but perhaps work better for you.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...lU2BcbxD_kEssMMxUEUaAv1TEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, FYI, I have always had large beach dogs and learned early on not to allow them to jump out of the car, jumping in is OK but jumping out as really hard on their joints…

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny, this thread just came up, I was at the store and some lady opened the door of her truck and had a folding ramp that she put out and I'm looking at her thinking "wtf is this stupid bitch doing", her dog walks out of the truck and down the ramp. lol

1Chino

Reaction score
I have a 200 pound mastiff and use a ramp I got from weather tech. He’s too lazy to climb in himself and too heavy to hop out ( really bad for their joints especially if they are young and still growing) I don’t know how to attach a link off my phone but it’s on weathertechs site in pet accessories. Plus it can hold 300 pounds, I had a lot of trouble finding a ramp that could handle his weight

Heinz

Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my experience, something I didn’t even think of till it happened. I’ve got 2020 802a leadfoot screw. I love the plentiful room in back for our 135lb Great Dane (still a pup). He’s been in and out of it since I bought new last September. But this last weekend we went to the lake and when I opened rear door he bolted out and then went into complete freak out screaming, yelping. I quickly realize 2 of his extremely large toes went thru one of the holes in the running board and his pads Locked them in and he couldn’t pull out. I try to dislodge quickly but he’s flailing about in full panic. I thought his toes were going to be severed off. As I’m trying to dislodge he bit my hand as any animal will do when in fright/flight mode. Anyway, ignored the bite and got him loose and he’s only got a slight slice on his paw but he’s fine. It’s gonna take a week for my fingers to heal (I don’t blame the pooch) he seemed sorry afterward. So if you’ve got dogs beware of those semi circle cut out holes in running board.

View attachment 165528

View attachment 165530
Wow, never would have thought of this. Thanks for the warning.

My dog uses the steps to get in, which he does very slowly. It’s actually comical to watch him do this, like he’s climbing a ladder. He’s a 1.5 year old GSP who can jump a 5-foot wall with ease, but when it comes to getting in a truck he acts like he’s 14. Seeing your post, I’m glad he treads lightly.

Your post also got me thinking that the running boards might also get really hot. I haven’t tested that yet (just got my truck a couple weeks ago), but could be another thing to watch out for I suppose.