GEN 2 A totally different rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already had the cam phasers and timing system replaced at 24,000. Now at 28,000 miles I have this when the oil is cold. In gear, blipping the throttle to 1100 rpm. You can hear it the first ten or so minutes of driving, it’s oil temperature dependent. Fe (iron) is up on the latest 4,000 mile oil sample.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing chain or cam gear is touching the front cover occasionally. The reason may be the cam chain tensioner is loose on one side or the other. Could be there is some left-over parts floating around inside the cam covers as well. Obviously the precursor to another teardown to determine.

DBro

Reaction score
MY truck has been in the shop multiple times for a similar issue, I have about 37,000KM (23,000Miles). its like the engine is miss firing and lugging/ surging in the first 20 or so minutes of it running. they've changed injectors/plugs, changed o2 sensors, fuel pump, replaced both cats and HEGOS? it worked for a little bit but now its back with vengeance and lugging even worse! Im also pushing for a new engine as my truck has been in the shop more then I have been driving it. if you could let me know if that is similar to the issue you are having and if anything has solved it.

OP
OP
O

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY truck has been in the shop multiple times for a similar issue, I have about 37,000KM (23,000Miles). its like the engine is miss firing and lugging/ surging in the first 20 or so minutes of it running. they've changed injectors/plugs, changed o2 sensors, fuel pump, replaced both cats and HEGOS? it worked for a little bit but now its back with vengeance and lugging even worse! Im also pushing for a new engine as my truck has been in the shop more then I have been driving it. if you could let me know if that is similar to the issue you are having and if anything has solved it.

My truck runs great, just sounds like it has an intake full of marbles.

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already had the cam phasers and timing system replaced at 24,000. Now at 28,000 miles I have this when the oil is cold. In gear, blipping the throttle to 1100 rpm. You can hear it the first ten or so minutes of driving, it’s oil temperature dependent. Fe (iron) is up on the latest 4,000 mile oil sample.

What oil are you running out of curiosity

atl_raptor

Reaction score
Mine had/has the same issue. New engine from afore. BUT it’s been at dealer 76 days so far waiting for parts.