A Raptor, a Sunroof, and a Carwash Walk into a Bar...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe touchless car washes aren't bad on the paint at all. I've got one near my house that does well on the Raptor. I would avoid any place w/ brushes/rollers etc.

I agree with this %100. Especially if it has been ceramic'd. I use one every couple of weeks in between my bi monthly hand washes. Works great and have never had any sun roof issues.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mine through the car wash once a week. I have a membership at the local auto wash. Been doing that since I got it and it hasn’t leaked.

As for a car wash ******** up the paint...I’ve been using the auto wash since I got the truck and it hasn’t damaged anything yet. Besides it’s a truck. It’s not some sort of collector car or prized show car. When you go to trade it in they will not give you penny more in trade for hand washing it the whole time lol.

No, they will definitely give you more money for huge swirl marks in your paint, duh! I guess some people, like me, like our shit to look good and keep it that way. That's why I have a ceramic coat on as well. My 2018 will still look brand new in 5-6 years. Yours? Probably not, but each to their own.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
No, they will definitely give you more money for huge swirl marks in your paint, duh! I guess some people, like me, like our shit to look good and keep it that way. That's why I have a ceramic coat on as well. My 2018 will still look brand new in 5-6 years. Yours? Probably not, but each to their own.

I don’t know how it will look in 6 years. Will probably have to hunt down the next owner. It’s a truck. It goes in the woods. They get scratched.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those things demolish paint and finish. Never drive a car you own through one of those. A lease? Sure, but not a vehicle you will care about long term.

Nothing a cut and buff can't fix. It get far more scratches off-road than a carwash has ever done to my truck. You should have seen how demolished mine was after my hunting trip.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A quick $300 detail and you have your value back before trade-in.

OP
OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I admit it, this is probably a stupid question. That said, help me out:

According to Ford.com: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2020/models/f150-raptor/?fmccmp=lp-trucks-mid-hp-f-150-raptor

Pickup box style 5.5-ft. F150 vs Raptor
Width - Excluding mirrors: 79.9 in. / 86.3 in.
Width - Including standard mirrors : 96.8 in. / 96.8 in.
Width - Standard Mirrors folded: 83.5 in. / 86.3 in.

Basically what I'm getting at is I know the Raptor is roughly 6 inches wider than the standard F150 without mirrors. With mirrors extended are they really the same width? If so, does the car wash debate really matter?

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor front fenders, and box sides are wider than a standard F-150, but the cab is the same width. The mirrors mount on the doors, so they protrude the same amount as the standard F-150 mirrors.