Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

A Raptor, a Sunroof, and a Carwash Walk into a Bar...

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Forum [GEN 2]' started by 04Ram2500Hemi, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Prestonjn

Prestonjn Member

I have been running mine through a car wash since I got it. By the way I have also ran al of my trucks that I have owned through car washes. No problem in 40 years of owning trucks.

Sunchild714, Proflyer and GCATX like this.
  2. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I tend to agree. It is an F150 after-all. That being said, lucky if mine gets washed every 2 months. White trucks are very forgiving though.

3. Turning Blue

Turning Blue Full Access Member

The most important thing is to be sure the car wash uses cloths, and not plastic brushes. Is a proper hand wash better? Yes. Did I ever take my GT500 through one with cloth? No. But both of my Raptors have almost exclusively been washed at a car wash with cloth strips, and you wouldn't know the difference from hand washing. Both Raptors have had sunroofs too.

Never ever use a car wash with plastic brushes, especially if you have a ceramic coating. The guy who applied my ceramic coating said a customer ran his black truck through a plastic brush car wash and he had to completely strip the ceramic and re-apply the ceramic coating after a few washes.

The car wash I use is filled with pickups whenever I go there. They even take it aside and do a mini detail inside and out, which usually takes 45 minutes. My hand washes take me all day...lol.

4. Sanco

Sanco Member

its an f150....in you go you little slut! lol....i was just worried about the width, as long as it is a newer car wash I dont think its a problem

5. Daniel Worm

Daniel Worm Member

I was just debating this myself over the weekend as winter is approaching here in Minnesota, and I was worried more so about the width of the truck (I've read mixed reviews). But, I took it to the local Hyvee touchless-wash and it fit fine - I was even able to keep my mirrors out. The dryers always suck though, so I get out and wipe it down by hand with my microfiber cloths. During the warmer 5-6 months of the year, I hand wash with a foam gun. As for the sunroof - no problems.

richnot likes this.
  6. melvimbe

melvimbe FRF Addict

Why would a car wash be more concerning than rain?

Part of the sunroof parts list includes 4 drain tubes., one at each corner. I would assume these actually do something if water gets underneath the weather seal.

7. 04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi It's Just a Username

I'm just not sure how good those 4 drain tubes are when there is basically a pressure washer a few inches from the sunroof itself? I'd rather not have an interior waterfall if I don't have too, thus why I asked the question.

8. dixonk

dixonk Full Access Member

I run mine through the car wash once a week. I have a membership at the local auto wash. Been doing that since I got it and it hasn’t leaked.

As for a car wash screwing up the paint...I’ve been using the auto wash since I got the truck and it hasn’t damaged anything yet. Besides it’s a truck. It’s not some sort of collector car or prized show car. When you go to trade it in they will not give you penny more in trade for hand washing it the whole time lol.

9. rayofsi

rayofsi FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

i couldn't find a car wash i can fit into. tried once. my tires didn't fit into the guide for the car wash. and it was wider then the brush setup. they made me backup and hand washed it.

i run it through a touchless every now and then. but the ones by me really suck, half the pressure wash holes actually work hah. cars never clean.

isis likes this.
  10. TheTeej

TheTeej Full Access Member

I believe touchless car washes aren't bad on the paint at all. I've got one near my house that does well on the Raptor. I would avoid any place w/ brushes/rollers etc.

Diesel71 and Mark Hounschell like this.